Red Velvet Cake And Icing ????

Decorating By 2sdae Updated 15 Nov 2006 , 3:54pm by Titansgold

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 15

I am making a heart shaped red velvet cake 2 layer. What are some B/C or other flavor alternatives for this cake? Just trying to get suggestions. I am doing a basket weave up the sides - in dark brown for a fall theme. I thought maybe I'd fill it with something and then ice it with some other flavor. Maybe fall flowers on top in fall kinda colors. I need to practice this for a thanksgiving cake I was asked to make. Only problem is this is my first red velvet and first time basket weaving too!!!! So ANY suggetions for any of this is GREATLY APPRECIATED! icon_cry.gificon_surprised.gif

14 replies
Firstlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Firstlady Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 4:17pm
post #2 of 15

What about cream cheese or vanilla?

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 15

I've done several red velvet cakes and I use the Wilton buttercream recipe EXCEPT I put an 8 oz (or block) of cream cheese in with the crisco (2 bars) and water (usually 3-4 Tbsp). Sometimes I wait before putting the water in because sometimes it doesn't need it - something about the cream cheese? Add the sugar (2 lb bag) and m. powder (2 Tbsp) and off you go icon_smile.gif
I don't eat the icing but my husband and those that I've made this particular buttercream for ask for it now.

MelissaLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaLynn Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 15

Go with a cream cheese icing. Buttercream just doesn't compliment a red velvet. Add a bit of Crisco to help stablize the cream cheese icing and fill 2 bags to do the basket weave since it gets soft so quickly. Alternate the bags as soon as you see the definitation decreasing. Just pop the bag in the fridge and use the other bag. Good Luck and take your time on the basket weave and it will turn out beautiful. Don't forget to mark the cake before you start.

2sdae Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 4:29pm
post #5 of 15

o.k cream cheese it is. But what about marking the cake???? I haven't basket weaved before! icon_surprised.gif

MelissaLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaLynn Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 15

Check out the wilton web site. I think they have instructions on how to do it.

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 15

I wouldn't worry about marking a heart-shaped cake. Find you a starting place, probably at the point in the back. Use your tip width as a guide and lightly mark where the vertical lines will go. As you get started, keep an eye on the spacing and how much further you have to go.
Hope I helped icon_wink.gif

2sdae Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 4:42pm
post #8 of 15

thanks guys! This has been helpful!!! This site and the wonderful smell of baking red velvet cake has calmed me a bit! I will deff be posting my results so watch for them!!! And say a little prayer for me!!!! Here I go!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 15

something about cooler weather and the holidays has brought out the orders and desires for the richer denser cakes. By the way....cake is cooled, crisped, leveled and filled. Now for the creamcheese icing to make and to color and a weaving away I go!!!!! CHARGE!!!!!

2sdae Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 12:26pm
post #11 of 15

Got another ? I made the cake and cream cheese icing. Crumb coated it and had to go to class. So in the fridge it went. I desparately need to practice my basket weaving skills before I try to apply them to my cake! icon_confused.gif So when I take the cake out, do I need to let it come to room temp before I try to pipe this basket weave on? I put icing in airtight container in fridge because it is dairy product icing with the cream cheese. So do I need to also let it come to room temp too? I would think so but I am just thinking out loud here. icon_razz.gif

2sdae Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:34pm
post #12 of 15

have to bump....sorry. I made my roses for this cake and they are in freezer...violet, deep buttercup yellow, and mauve-brown red. icon_confused.gif We'll see how this turns out! shhh.gif

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:43pm
post #13 of 15

Cream cheese icing tends to soften when it comes to room temperature. As you are doing the basketweave, the heat from your hands may also soften up the icing. If that happens, just pop the bag into the refrigerator to firm up again.

2sdae Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:48pm
post #14 of 15

thanks for all the really good tips and helpful hints guys! thumbs_up.gif

Titansgold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Titansgold Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 3:54pm
post #15 of 15

Definitely a traditional favorite is cream cheese icing with red velvet cake. Ok and it's probably my favorite too so I may be a bit biased

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%