Half Sheet Pineapple Upside Down Cake- Need Help

Decorating By hottub Updated 14 Nov 2006 , 9:24pm by onebigdogmama

hottub Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hottub Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 10

I have an order for a half sheet p/a upsidedown cake. The cake itself will be fine. I'm just freaking out about flipping a cake that size over AND it will be hot. Any suggestions? icon_rolleyes.gif

9 replies
doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 10

Just make sure that the board you are putting the cake on is big enough. You should have no problems. Have fun. I love that kind of cake.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 10

Try to fill your pan with the batter so that it will bake up to the top of the pan. Put your cakeboard over the pan when it has cooled enough and flip the entire pan like that. This way there is no dropping the cake out of the pan onto the board. It shouldn't break this way.

tthardy78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tthardy78 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 10

I just double my boards and flip. Just make sure you don't wait to long to flip or the brown sugar will stick to the pan.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 8:40pm
post #5 of 10

I would be MORE worried about having all kinds of gloppy (yummy) drips all over my board!!

MelissaLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaLynn Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 8:42pm
post #6 of 10

I had the best luck when I did one this size when I doubled my cake board but I also used my large cooling rack for that "extra" support when I flipped it. Just hold on tight and go for it!

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 10

How long are you supposed to wait to flip these?

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 10

I would only wait until it's cool enough that you won't be burnt by the sugar. I would estimate about 10-15 minutes. You want it to still be warm, not cool. The sugar will harden when cool and you will never get it out of the pan cleanly at that point.

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 10

Hottub,
Thanks!! Now I'm craving pinepple upside down cake icon_biggrin.gif
If you're decorating this cake ( like for a birthday), what kind of icing do you use?

Amy

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 10

I make this cake all the time, betty crocker's recipe.
I think you are suppose to wait like 5-10 mins. I flip mine onto my tupperware cake saver bottom. You might want to do like the others and double your cake board. I use a glass baking pan so I can see the cake when it is releasing. You might also want to tap the pan when it comes out. And be careful of the steam from the cake. Good luck and happy baking!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%