Dummy Cake Preperation?

Decorating By cocorum21 Updated 14 Nov 2006 , 8:25pm by Fairytale

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:25am
post #1 of 12

I just got some dummy cakes and I was wondering how you prepare them for decorating?

I just want to decorate for photos and then redecorate. I think I read you can use saran wrap to cover them is that all?

Then when I go to put the fondant on top should I just wet the saran wrap so the fondant will stick?

11 replies
Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:56am
post #2 of 12

I am working on a dummy cake right now. All I do is wet it, then apply fondant. When I want to use the dummy again, I just put it in water and peal off the fondant.
LL

dolcesunshine20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcesunshine20 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:01am
post #3 of 12

I just spread a thin layer of piping gel on mine. That's a good idea about soaking it in water and then re-using!

SugaryGoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaryGoodness Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:09am
post #4 of 12

Fairytale - do you cover it in anything first (saran wrap) or do you just spray it with water and put the fondant directly on it? I have never used a dummy but have been thinking about ordering some to play with.

Fairytale Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:17am
post #5 of 12

Oh, I just spray it with water and plop on the fondant. I took a class from Colette Peters and that's how she does it too. Seem to work o.k. so far.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 12

I use buttercream and just put it on the dummy direct. When it dries and I'm ready to take it off, I run a spatula or long knife under the icing and it peals/pops right off.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for the help. I wish I would have asked before I went out and bought three packs of saran wrap icon_rolleyes.gif

ckkerber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ckkerber Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 12

how long do your dummies typically last? can you get years of use out of them or with time do they begin to deteriorate?

sdanczak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sdanczak Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 12

Should you cover the dummies in plastic wrap if you plan on decorating with BC?

kakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedecorator Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 4:35pm
post #10 of 12

If I am using the dummy with fondant I like to smooth the top edge so it doesn't tear the fondant. I roll the edge with a rolling pin. You can also just roll the edge of the dummy on the table.

Moviechick00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moviechick00 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 4:40pm
post #11 of 12

Ok so I guess I am not understanding....do you cover the styrofoam in plastic wrap then soak in water? icon_redface.gif is there a tutorial on using styrofoam dummies? TIA MC

Fairytale Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 12

There is no need to use Saran wrap. Just apply the fondant directly on the dummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%