Help With Truffles

Sugar Work By auntiem26 Updated 14 Nov 2006 , 9:36pm by RisqueBusiness

auntiem26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiem26 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:47am
post #1 of 15

Everytime I make truffles, and they sit for a day or two, the get covered in condensation and look gross and soggy. It also happens with chocolate covered cherries too. What causes it, and how do i stop it?

14 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 2:38am
post #2 of 15

do you have them in the fridge or out on the counter? I put mine in the fridge and sometimes I notice within a few days they are sweating, usually around day 4 for me. I learn about chocolate this next semester so if I find out the answer I'll pm you with it, but I'm sure someone on here knows the answer.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 6:47am
post #3 of 15

This might help:

http://tinyurl.com/y953vv

auntiem26 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 15

That would be great if you could let me know. I leave them on the counter, and it does it every single time. They just end up looking gross.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 15

are you using cold ingredients? or is everything at room temp?

auntiem26 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 15

Well, the chocolate is room temp, but the cream is heated......

RisqueBusiness Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 15

you didn't use anything cold..no cold butter or anything?

Strange..

auntiem26 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 15

Nope. Nothing cold. In fact the only thing I used in one batch was 35% and chcolate.

sinderella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sinderella Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:12pm
post #9 of 15

auntiem26 the condensation is your problem, when chocolate comes into contact with condensation (aka water) it seizes up making it unsuable. Now, your chocolate was already in a dry form when it came into contact with the condensation therefore the chocolate goes all wonky and in your words "soggy" What maybe happening is that the place where you leave your chocolates out to cool may be to cold or warm for the chocolates causing the chocolates to sweat. Now when you make the truffle centers, allow it to harden up in the bowl on the counter over night before you go scooping and dunking. your filling may still be a bit warm causing ur truffles to sweat from the inside out and that in the words of Alton Brown "that is definately BAD eats!"
Now in the case of the chocolate covered cherries, well that is gonna happen cause chocolate doesnt like water mixed with sugar either. you may have to cover the chocolate in a fondant first like you would cherrie Cordials.
HTH
Daniella

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 15

I have found that my truffles look the best when I let all my ingredients get to the same temp.

auntiem26 Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 15

sinderella thanks for you advice.
P.S I grew up in Caledon..... icon_lol.gif

sinderella Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 15

Misdawn you are correct!! Chocolate should be at room temp along with alcohols and fruit purees. As for the butter, room temp is best because it will be nice and soft leaving a silky finish and no unmelted lumps in the ganache! But once you add the boiled cream it becomes alittle tricky. It may feel cool to you to scoop and dunk after a few hours, but remember chocolate melts just over body temperature and even if it is a little warm, it will sweat if dunked too soon.

~Daniella

sinderella Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:20pm
post #13 of 15

auntiem26 i moved here about a year ago...hmmm... it seems you joined cc the same daty i did...weird..am i your evil twin??..nahh! HAHAH

pookster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pookster Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:30pm
post #14 of 15

i would love to make truffles this x-mas...anybody have a good recipe???

RisqueBusiness Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:36pm
post #15 of 15

yes, all your ingredients should be at the same temperature and let the truffle mix sit for a bit before you start to dip..

Make sure that your chocolate is not too hot..it really shouldn't be hotter than 96-98 degrees

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%