Need Help!!!! I Just Frosted A 10 X 15 For Tomorrow....

Decorating By PegeB Updated 15 Sep 2007 , 3:11am by pastryjen

PegeB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PegeB Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:52am
post #1 of 7

There are chocolate crumbs all in it and I used a pretty thick layer.... can I save it by making a new batch to go over????? I would hate to have no cake for tomorrow!!! Please let me know what can be done, learning lesson here, can't believe I didn't know about crumb coat!!!

6 replies
Nikki_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki_B Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 1:31am
post #2 of 7

Your crumb coat was likely too thick or you didn't clean off your spatula/smoother between the crumb and the outer layer.

What I would do is scrape off all but a thin layer (meaning you see the cake showing through in most parts) of the frosting, and throw away what you scrape off (it's all crummy). What's left on the cake after your careful scraping will be the crumb coat, which is always very thin.

Whip up a new batch now and very carefully do your outer layer- being careful to wipe off any icing that gets crumbs on it into a SEPARATE container than what you're using for your nice icing. Make sure your turntable is cleaned/wiped as you go too- if that has crumbs on it, it can really mess up the icing, especially when you run the spatula along the lower edge to release the cake.

Good luck and I hope this helped!

tana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tana Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 7

VERY I mean Very good advice, Nikki_B

USMC_SGTs_Lady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMC_SGTs_Lady Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 2:52am
post #4 of 7

this is probably too late, but i would suggest getting the icer tip and using that to apply your frosting and then smoothing it out...works wonders verses just applying it with a spatula...IMHO....i would do what adivce u were given up above by Nikki_B. but for furture cakes and applying frosting try out the icer tip...

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 3:08am
post #5 of 7

With chocolate cakes of any kind I always put mine in the freezer for an hour before frosting them.........freezer, crumb coat, freezer, final frosting job.
This makes them so much easier to deal with.

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 3:10am
post #6 of 7

my first thought was cake balls icon_smile.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 3:11am
post #7 of 7

Gotta agree with Teekakes...I always freeze my cakes. It really helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%