Did I Overcharge? Please Advise

Decorating By serialbabe1968 Updated 14 Sep 2007 , 9:53pm by deetmar

serialbabe1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serialbabe1968 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:24am
post #1 of 12

A co-worker at my hubbies job asked me to do a train cake. SHe said that a caterer quoted her $200 for a train cake - 4 mini loaves decorated as trains. SHe told me that she did not mind paying that much, she just wanted me to do it. THis is what i told her I would do for $140

4 piece train cake (steam engine and 3 cargo trains) in the size of mini loaf pans (I think I am actually going to make the engine bigger)

Steam engine to be a yellow cake covered in buttercream frosting

A 9x13 double layer sheet cake designed as a train station (chocolate flavor covered in buttercream with fondant and/or royal icing decorations, strawberry creamcheese filling)

I am also making whole bunch of characters like clowns, people, animals, trees and signs which I did not tell her about. Also thinking of covering the staion with fondant.

DId I ask for too much money? This is my second time charging someone and I feel bad.

thanks
Angelika

11 replies
serialbabe1968 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:31am
post #2 of 12

icon_confused.gif

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:35am
post #3 of 12

I don't think so... you are already uncutting the previous quote by a lot. Also, if they will pay it, you didn't overcharge. It sounds like a lot of work, I am not sure what I could get in my area for a cake like that but your peers in the area help set the pricing. I would be happy with that fee.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

GrannieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrannieJ Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:36am
post #4 of 12

How many serving are you making? I charge by the serving, so it's hard to say, also where you are located can have something to do with what you charge.

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:45am
post #5 of 12

I never charge enough, but...even I would probably charge more! By the time you get done with all the little figures...

although, if I didn't know about all the figures and I was quoted more than that, I may think it was too much for just the cake...

Nikki_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki_B Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:47am
post #6 of 12

For all that in my area, I would have charged about 400 dollars too.. but prices vary from area to area and I live in a well-off area.

serialbabe1968 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:37am
post #7 of 12

thanks for all the feedback.
it's supposed to be for 30 people. Is that enough cake? AUGHHHH!!!! Why do i get myself into these things?!

serialbabe1968 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 2:41am
post #8 of 12

icon_redface.gif

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialbabe1968

thanks for all the feedback.
it's supposed to be for 30 people. Is that enough cake? AUGHHHH!!!! Why do i get myself into these things?!

I don't know the typical number of servings for a 9 by 13 by I'm thinking you have enough. Assuming only 24 servings for the 9by13..you then have 4 mini loaf sized cakes....those have to be...at least a good 3-4 servings [unless my dad comes to it and claims a whole train car as his piece icon_lol.gif ]. Sounds like enough to me.

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 4:35pm
post #10 of 12

Oh, forgot to say that even if someone cut the train cars in only two pieces each..that's 8 servings plus 24....32 servings. Try not to stress yourself too much!! icon_rolleyes.gif I know that's easier said than done...I let my husband stress about my cakes for me icon_rolleyes.gif GOOD LUCK!

serialbabe1968 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 9:32pm
post #11 of 12

thank you sandi

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 9:53pm
post #12 of 12

I seem to way under charge all the time. I tried to figure out how to charge from a spreadsheet someone here did, way to much thinking for me.

I thinks this is a good topic. How do you know how much to charge?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%