Outdated Gum Tex?

Decorating By briansbaker Updated 11 Aug 2005 , 12:33am by mixaleena

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 6

I wanted to try gumpaste. I've had 3 containers of gum tex for awhile now and went to the cake supply store and bought the glucose to add. Well I followed the directions (I think). Anyhow I made it last night, closed it tight and left it alone all night I ended up with crumbled up sugar. It never became soft. What did I do wrong? Is there an expiration on Gum Tex itself? I've had those containers for at least a year or better.. icon_redface.gif I bought them when Micheals went out of business. Never new what to do with it, until now.. LOL I just bought it because of the price cut on it. I really wanted to try gumpaste icon_cry.gif
HELP what did I do wrong? Oh yeah, is gum tex suppose to smell like vinegar??? Mine does icon_confused.gif

5 replies
briansbaker Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 6

(cough) sorry icon_redface.gif I'm trying to keep this up.. I need help! icon_biggrin.gif

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 6

Gum tex does have an awful smell to it. I like gum trag, but its quite pricey. Did you use the recipe on the side of the can?? I think i made that mistake once, and thats what it did to me too. If you just want to try out some gumpaste and you don't want to go to the bother of making it again. Take some premade wilton fondant 8oz (about 1/3 box) mix in a scant teaspoon of the gum tex and let rest, it will work the same as gumpaste with out the mess of making it from scratch.

briansbaker Posted 26 Jul 2005 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you soooooooo much.. Yes I did the recipe from the side of can..

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 10 Aug 2005 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 6

I wish I would have read this BEFORE I bought this stuff!!! As I was making it I'm thinking.... MAN this stuff stinks!!! and it was pretty sticky!! Is it supposed to be like that???? And.... it wasn't really white like I thought it would be either!! Guess I better start checking these boards out a little better before I go shopping huh???!!

Charlotte

mixaleena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixaleena Posted 11 Aug 2005 , 12:33am
post #6 of 6

On a slightly different note, I used the can of Wilton Gum Paste Mix and it was the worst stuff I ever worked with. When I made it, it was so sticky that half of it went into the garbage with the gloves I was wearing. Then when I finally used it and made flowers with it, if you breathed on the flowers the petals fell off or crumbled. It was odd. I hear though that you can mix Fondant & Gum Paste 50/50. I like Fondant because it is easier to work with but I also want it to dry harder.

Does the Fondant mixed with the gum tex dry harder than just fondant peg818? Or should I actually make GumPaste?

Thanks!
Mixee

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%