Need Advice On Cake Order

Decorating By DegaDee Updated 13 Sep 2007 , 8:29pm by DegaDee

DegaDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DegaDee Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 6

I got a call last night for a 50th birthday cake. The lady hosting the party says they will only have cake, nuts and punch. It's a casual get together after church Sunday night. There will be 35-40 people there. She thought a sheet cake would do fine. I have a 11x 15 pan, but I'm afraid that it won't be enough since there will be no other food, except the nuts and there will be teenage boys there also (their sons).

I want to make a very good impression with her, because she does catering for local weddings and told me when I got ready for wedding cake orders she would hook me up.

She would like the cake to be pink, with a black "50" and suggested some silver for "Bling" but wants to keep it feminine....I am trying to come up with something that doesn't look like 1950's Rock & Roll since it has those colors.

I'm just starting out and this is only my 2nd order. I'm not so much worried about the price at this point. Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated.....TIA

Dee

5 replies
AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 6

I get 25-30 servings from a single serving 11x15. What flavors does she want? If you can do 2 9x13's (side by side - if she wants a 1/2 & 1/2 cake) then you could get your 35-40 servings easier. Look in my photos - I did a pink 7 black cake for my friend who turned 50.
HTH!

SimpleAffair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimpleAffair Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 6

There are some very pretty cakes in the Gallery that you may get ideas from. Maybe you could consider doing a tiered cake with one tier pink and another in a coordinating color....Make a cake topper "50" using silver as the color.

I'm sure you will get tons of great ideas from the folks here at cc...they are very creative!

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 6

Oh- you could always add the silver foil leaves to the pink roses - I think that's what I did.
Good luck!

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 6

Here's a quick idea running through my head (forgive me if it's weird cause I'm brainstorming icon_razz.gif ):

Do a sheet cake and then put an 8" round on top. Make the frosting pink, but not dark, just pale. Use black for borders and then darker pink roses on the corners and maybe accent the borders with it. Do either color flow or a FBCT for the "50" and make it big enough to fill up the space on the top of the 8" cake.

When I do black frosting, I use cocoa in the frosting so it won't taste gross so black isn't bad. That's why I suggested using it for a border. I have a cake in my gallery for a sweet 16 that was red/black, done that way. Oh, that gives me another idea (cause that cake had scrolls)! You could instead or else in addition to the roses, use the darker pink to put scrolls on the cake icon_smile.gif

Hope this helps!

DegaDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DegaDee Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all the great suggestions icon_biggrin.gif I had pondered the sheet w/8" on top. I prefer tiered vs. sheet, I just like vertical cakes and there's so much more to work with, i.e. fondant. I thought about calling her to see if that would be okay. I think she just wants it to be fun, feminine and funky. I like the "50 & Fabulous" title, I'm thinking of maybe trying to incorporate that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%