Why Do You Need Gelatin In A Recipe For A Filling In A Cake?

Decorating By dtmc Updated 13 Nov 2006 , 5:29pm by dtmc

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 4

I want to make this recipe that I found on the CC recipe under Pumpkin Roll cake with the Toffee Cream filling and caramel. I am making a pumpkin spice cake and wanted to do the toffee cream filling. The recipe is as follows:
2 Tbsp Rum
1 cup heavy cream
3 Tbsp confectioners sugar
1 tsp unfalvored gelatin
10 Tbsp crushed toffee candy

So my question is this....why would I need the gelatin? What does it do in the recipe? Does it give it a special consistency? I have all these ingredients except for the gelatin...this is really why I'm asking...Do I have to have the gelatin or can I substitute it for something else?

Any help is appreciated....THANKS!

3 replies
rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 4

The gelatin will help it thicken up and stay set. Like a mousse. According to the recipe, it probably stabilizes the heavy cream especially if it calls for it to be whipped and the other ingredients folded in.
HTH

-Rezzy

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 5:26pm
post #3 of 4

I would have to agree; the gelatin is there to stabilize the structure of the filling. I would not substitute anything for it in the recipe. My rule of thumb on recipes is this: make it exactly according to directions the first time. Then, if you want to change it in any way (additions/deletions/substitutions, etc.), you will at least have something to refer to as far as texture, flavor, etc.

Let us know how it turns out!

Odessa

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 4

Okay..........thanks! I usually do follow a recipe as follows...so I will this time too! Thanks for your help...I do want it the consistency of a mousse so that makes sense!

THANK YOU!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%