Sponge Cake?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 13 Sep 2007 , 10:39pm by beachcakes

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 5

What is the difference between a sponge cake, genoise, and angel food?

I'm trying to find a recipe for a cake similar to a cake that a local spa bakery makes, but I'm not sure what kind of cake it is! it's a white cake if that matters, and very light and kind of spongey. But it's not spongey-dry like an angel food cake, nor does it taste like one - it's kind of spongey-moist and tastes richer? And it's not as heavy as a box mix.

Whew! Does that make any sense to anyone? icon_lol.gif

I wanted to make it for my aunt's birthday this weekend - she wants a cake with whipped cream, so this would be perfect, if I can figure out what it is!!

4 replies
DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 5

You could always call and ask them what kind of cake it is.

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 5

Could it be chiffon cake?
Chiffon Cake - a moist and tender, light and airy cake that has the richness of a butter cake but the springy texture of a sponge cake.

JP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JP Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 5

I am not sure what the scientific difference is between the two cakes, but I know that most sponge cakes have whipped egg whites folded into the batter before baking to lighten the cake. A genoise, I believe, is a very dry cake.

Cook's Illustrated has a great recipe for sponge cake. The cake is part of the Strawberry Cream Cake and I have made it several times with excellent results. This cake is a cross between a butter and a sponge cake so it has a great richness without being heavy. I think it would be great with whipped cream, as I have used it several times for strawberry shortcake.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 10:39pm
post #5 of 5

Oh gee, I didn't even think of chiffon! icon_sad.gif I'll take a look at that Cook's Illustrated recipe. It sounds yummy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%