Help Pricing Fake Layers On Cake

Decorating By SugaryGoodness Updated 13 Nov 2006 , 8:23pm by SugaryGoodness

SugaryGoodness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaryGoodness Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 8

I have a bride that wants a 5 tier cake but doesn't need all that cake - she just wants the look. How much should I charge for the fake cakes? The cake is going to be square 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14 (with the 8 and 10 being fake) covered in buttercream. I would like to talk her into fondant but she really wants buttercream. I am just going to put a simple ribbon of fondant at the bottom of each. We haven't decided on a topper yet.

The wedding isn't for 6 months but she needs a price now. I have never done any fake tiers.

And any suggestions on covering and icing fake layers?????

Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 replies
goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 8

I have done fake wedding cakes and seen posts on this site.

Most charge the same or deduct the cost of the cake batter and frosting supplies...but add the price of the fake styrofoam and the shipping....

Does that help??

SugaryGoodness Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 4:25pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks - it does help! Sounds reasonable. That is what I was think...it still has the work involved but I felt bad to charge for something they can't use.

sundaybegonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sundaybegonia Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 8

Hi I do dummy cakes all the time and I usually charge $10.00 for anything under 10 inch then $20.00 for anything over 12 inches.

I also shrink wrap my styrofoam then just ice with buttercream or fondant. Hope this helps.

Sunday

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 8

You will find the dummy will cost the same or more than you supplies for real cake... and yes you can ask for it back but unless you do alot of dummies what good does that do.... so same time involved. same or extra cost.... charge the same as real cake.

now I have heard you can make dummies out of rice krispy cookies so that could cost less than a dummy still most of the charge is the labor.

SugaryGoodness Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the help everyone. Sundaybegonia - do you just wrap in saran wrap or actually shrink wrap the dummy cake?

sundaybegonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sundaybegonia Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 8

I use saran wrap and a just use a hair dryer. Just make sure to get it all over the styrofoam evenly. Then the messy part is on the bottom.

SugaryGoodness Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 8:23pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks Sundaybegonia!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%