My Wedding Cake!

Decorating By lizbuth Updated 15 Nov 2006 , 11:23am by vickymacd

lizbuth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizbuth Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 18

I am getting married!! I want to make my own wedding cake. I know that I can do this! The wedding is going to be in June and I am considering the idea of having it outside. It will probably be no less than 85 degrees outside! Any suggestions for a type of wedding cake/icing that would work well in this condition? I would hate for it to "melt."

17 replies
sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 1:58pm
post #2 of 18

A recipe with all shortening or half shortening and half butter buttercream should work.

If you can keep it inside until time to cut, that is an option; plus you wouldn't have to worry about bugs getting on the cake while it sits unless you could find something to keep it covered but still viewable (I guess like a display case of some sort.)

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 18

ok, I can tell you from experience that buttercream melts at certain heat indexes. On a day that will be warm/hot and with it being outside I would use a high-ratio shortning to make the buttercream and leave the butter out of it. all butter buttercream will never make it, 1/2 buttercream and 1/2 shortning won't either since it will break down around the 86 degree mark (check out my photos for proof, poor barbie melted as soon as I took the cake outside for my daughters party! It was high humidity that day and about 96 on May 30th here in Michigan!!) The pure shorning--high ratio kind only---- will break down around 100 degrees, so just to be safe I would use that one. Just my opinion and congrats!!!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 9:56pm
post #4 of 18

I can tell you from a BAD experience, Buttercream will melt and run all over the place in high heat and humidity. Hopefully, someone can help you.

JulieBugg2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieBugg2000 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 18

What about fondant? It would hold up much better in high heat than buttercream.

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 18

Also consider fondant, if you're having it outside. That is probably the safest bet for heat...as far as I know.

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 18

Rose Levy Beranbaum's Mousselline Buttercream is excellent for hot humid climates. I use it all the time and haven't had any problems with it. Here is Hawaii the average temperatures are in the 80's.

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 10:08pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by homemaluhia

Rose Levy Beranbaum's Mousselline Buttercream is excellent for hot humid climates. I use it all the time and haven't had any problems with it. Here is Hawaii the average temperatures are in the 80's.

I have her cake bible too and looked at the recipe for the buttercream. It looks similar to Silvia Weinstock's. How does it compare? have you made Sylvia's?

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:17am
post #9 of 18

I haven't made Silvia's yet. Probably because I'm happy with Rose's and have gotten used to making it! I'll check in out, though. Sounds similar. Thanks!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 7:36am
post #10 of 18

I've tried Rose's Mousseline and always use Sylvia's, but I think Rose's is a little easier to pipe with. I haven't tried it in hot weather.

Sylvia's I did use for a beach wedding in June in Santa Barbara, where the cake sat outside from about 3 pm through the wedding, the reception, the photos, the toasts, the catered dinner, AND the dancing, and it held up fine...I was amazed! I had no idea it would be outside all that time.

janbabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janbabe Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 9:14am
post #11 of 18

Congrats on your forthcoming wedding! If you use buttercream on your cake (not an all butter based one) which should hold up in hot weather better, try to make your flowers (assuming you want flowers) to go on the cake out of flower paste (gumpaste).
My SIL made some for her daughters wedding out of buttercream and it was such a hot day the roses all sort of went into a red sludge. I guess as they were small they couldn't stand up in the heat at all.
Gumpaste will set hard and not lose its shape.
good luck!

Jan

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:26pm
post #12 of 18

I'd just like to say 'best wishes' and are you crazy????
With all that you probably will be worrying about, AND trying to put the cake together? This is supposed to be YOUR day. Don't try to be SUPER BRIDE. Save that title when you become SUPER MOM!!

cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:52pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

I'd just like to say 'best wishes' and are you crazy????
With all that you probably will be worrying about, AND trying to put the cake together? This is supposed to be YOUR day. Don't try to be SUPER BRIDE. Save that title when you become SUPER MOM!!

Nah, it's very doable. icon_biggrin.gif I made my invitations, programs, table menus, bouquets, corsages, boutinneirs (sp?), sugared pecans, spiced cider, veil, guest book, bridal shower favors, bridal shower cake, guest reception favors, "toss" favors (we didn't use rice), AND a four tier cake (with a 5th tier and a 6th sugar-free tier in the back)...and did all the decorating of the ceremony and reception sites. (my mom made all the gowns, so basically those and the catered dinner are the only things I didn't make--and I had very seriously considered doing the dinner myself too) icon_biggrin.gif

Anywho, at those temps, I would suggest fondant as well. The all-shortening buttercream would probably work, but I don't personally think it tastes very good. With fondant, you could still use yummy BC as the base.

vickymacd Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 12:55pm
post #14 of 18

cakesoncall ----you are one amazing woman!!!

cakesoncall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesoncall Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:27pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

cakesoncall ----you are one amazing woman!!!

Aww shucks! You made me blush. icon_wink.gif I don't know about amazing; I just work best under pressure! icon_biggrin.gif

mayra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayra Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:29pm
post #16 of 18

I am getting married in July, and I am making my own cake. Basiclly I am going to make a dummy cake exept one small tier will be a real cake for us to cut into. I am probably going to just make sheet cakes to pass out (much easier). THat way I can make my cake way ahead of time and just have to worry about decorating just one tier and of course the sheet cake will be very simple. Good luck!

lizbuth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizbuth Posted 14 Nov 2006 , 1:32pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks you guys! The ideas have really helped. I am truly hoping that I can get the dates to work when my church is available, but right now with future husbands working schedule, the church is not available. Maybe we can change the date, but right now it's up in the air!

I was just worried about a melting cake outside, but I think with very careful planning it could work. I really hope it works out where we can use the church and the air conditioning!!

Thanks for the advice!!

vickymacd Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 11:23am
post #18 of 18

mayra,
you too are amazing and oh so smart with those cakes!! That's exactly what I told a friend of mines daughter to do....have a dummy cake and get sheet cakes. Sooooo smart!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%