Help!

Lounge By mrsdawnwhite Updated 17 Nov 2006 , 3:26pm by finnox

mrsdawnwhite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsdawnwhite Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 8

How do I ask for something back nicely.. I let a friend borrow one of my cake books and I would really like to have it back... I don't want to come across of mean.. She's had it for over a month she could have copied the pages if she needed it longer than that or at least acknowledge that she still needs the book.

Thanks

7 replies
bethbyington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethbyington Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 8

I would ask her if she is about done looking at it and tell her you need it back by whatever date so you can use it as a reference for making an upcoming cake. Maybe you could get her a copy as a gift.

daltonam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daltonam Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethbyington

I would ask her if she is about done looking at it and tell her you need it back by whatever date so you can use it as a reference for making an upcoming cake. Maybe you could get her a copy as a gift.

exactly what i was thinking

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 8

The next time you talk with her, just ease it into the conversation that you will be stopping by on such and such day to pick up the book because you need it thumbs_up.gif .

Dale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dale Posted 15 Nov 2006 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 8

Steal her car...when she calls the cops, tell them..."Well, she has my cake book and I want it back." Then negotiate a trade like it's a hostage exchange. Tell them you'll need a helicopter and 19.95 in untraceable bills.

Cinderella24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinderella24 Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:14pm
post #6 of 8

Maybe you could say something to her like, "has that book been of any use for you?"

She may not catch on, but there's a good chance that she may have totally forgotten about it, and bringing it up in conversation might make her think, "oh yeah, I need to get that back to her".

Or, if you want to be less subtle, just ask her for it back as you'll be needing it shortly. There's nothing wrong with just coming out and asking for it either. icon_biggrin.gif

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 8

I would just ask for it back. You were nice enough to lend it to her, and it has been a month... Time enough for her to go through it and copy whatever she needs.

I was in a similar situation once, a friend borrowed my precious PME Plunger cutters. ( I live in India, and equipment is just not available)

I know she was using them, and two months later, when I decided to stop being "Nice" I asked for them back.

She had the audacity to say "Oh... You want them back? Why would you, you don't do cakes professionally!"

Lesson learnt, she never got to borrow anything from me again.

Karen

finnox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
finnox Posted 17 Nov 2006 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 8

I would just say that you needed a recipe out of there for thanksgiving or christmas and that if she was done looking at it, you needed it back and once your done if she needs it again she can borrow it except when she asks say you miss placed it when you find it you will let her borrow it icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%