All Purpose Or Cake Flour

Decorating By AlamoSweets Updated 13 Nov 2006 , 12:49pm by beachcakes

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 6

I would like to find out what everyone prefers to use (all purpose or cake flour). If a recipe calls for cake flour does anyone substitute and if so what do you use? I am tired of buying the cake flour in small boxes.

Thanks everyone.

5 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 10:40am
post #2 of 6

Hi, I posted a question about that earlier, and someone found me this link for cake flour in bulk. I always use cake flour and am tired of the little boxes, too.

http://www.myspicer.com/index.html?/data_returns/listbycountry.php?id=8406080&cname=Cake%20Flour

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 11:04am
post #3 of 6

I always use All-Purpose flour and my cakes taste great!! I've never used Cake Flour so I don't no the difference but if people like my cakes any more than they already do I'm gonna have to quit my day job and open a Bakery. If cake flour makes my cakes taste better maybe I'll stay away from it. LOL

Lazy_Susan

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 11:30am
post #4 of 6

Cake flour, when doing cakes.

I don't use it for anything else, like cookies etc. I use All purpose for them.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 11:38am
post #5 of 6

I use cake flour or self-rising in ALL my cakes - even if the recipe says all-purpose! I just reduce the amount of leavening agent or leave it out altogether. I think the cake/self-rising flour gives a more tender crumb and texture to my cake, but it'll still stand up to being abused (fondant, sculpting and the like)!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 13 Nov 2006 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 6

karateka, thank you so much for that link! I use a lot of cake flour and hate wrestling w/ the boxes!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%