Layering Disaster?

Decorating By deetmar Updated 13 Sep 2007 , 6:46am by deetmar

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 7

To start off, this is my first wedding cake, so, I am somewhat nervous. It's the first time that I went to cut the layers that they didn't come out straight. I actually ended up putting my knife through the top of a couple of layers.

My first instinct was to throw the cake away and start over again. Instead, I pieced it together with the filling and kept on going.

Now, that I have the first layer covered in fondant, I am feeling very guilty. Should I throw the cakes away and start over again?

I just don't want them to think I did a terrible job when they cut into the cake. From the outside you can't tell any difference. I feel so awful icon_cry.gif

Does it matter if the layers weren't perfectly even. The cakes are all level as I am putting the fondant on.

I would rather start over tonight, because the cake has to be delivered on Saturday.

Please help!

6 replies
Nikki_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki_B Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 7

If it doesn't damage the structural integrity of your cake or make the outside look funky, i wouldn't worry about it. Most people don't look very closely at the layers of cake and how even they are and even so, only people getting some cake on that tier you've made and in ONE little section would even see anything.

The people you're trying to impress, the Bride and Groom and possibly the parents, are probably not going to notice or have much room to complain. Things happen!

deetmar Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much. I am giving myself chest pain over this. How come when you are doing cakes just for the heck of it, everything comes out okay. The first cake you charge for, it falls apart?

I guess if anything is said, I will refund thier money. I have been sick over this all day.

My husband told me to keep going. He couldn't see anything wrong with it. We will see.

I wouldn't make it without you guys. I have learned so much here, more than from my classes and all the books that I have read.

Thanks

Nikki_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki_B Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 12:04am
post #4 of 7

I wouldn't refund the money if there was a complaint! I may give them a discount or a PARTIAL refund, but not all!

Just don't worry about it and think positive thoughts, really, most people freak out over either the decorations, the structure, or the texture/flavor of the cake and fillings itself. I've never heard of someone getting upset that the cake layers weren't all perfect!

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 5:42am
post #5 of 7

It's free cake the guests probably won't even notice.

Wait until you have a section break & have to patch it together because rebake is not an option. LOL

crazycakes2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazycakes2007 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 6:00am
post #6 of 7

The pictures and secondly the taste is what they are after... both are still good, so I say keep going. My first wedding cake (last weekend) almost killed me. We'll be rooting for you! <<<<Cheryl

deetmar Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 6:46am
post #7 of 7

You guys are the best. The cake is so huge that my husbadn says they won't notice.

It is a four layer 14, 10, 8, and 6 stacked layers 4" high. So far from the out side, I have only put fondant on one layer, but everything is coming together nicely.

She requested kind of strange colors, claret red background with black swirls and a black bow. Her flowers are red and black Calla lily. I don't know if there will be room for the lily, since the cake will be busy enough on it's own.

I will send pictuers when it's complete.

Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%