Carrot Cake Help Please!!!

Decorating By Shaynamills Updated 18 Sep 2007 , 11:59am by FromScratch

Shaynamills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaynamills Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 13

My boss has requested a carrot cake for his birthday. I make cakes from box mix and extender, however not sure if I've ever seen a carrot cake from a box mix. Is there such a thing and if not is there a recipe where you can change a yellow or spice mix to carrot? Also any good fillings that would go well with this flavor? I'll be using decorator's cream cheese buttercream for the frosting. Thank you so much for your help.
Shayna

12 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 13

I had the similar problem a few weeks ago. I ended up using this recipe:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2410-Carrot-Cake-with-Raisins.html

But instead of raisins I used nuts. They LOVED it!! I had some cake scraps leftover and I really enjoyed it too.

cakechica27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechica27 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:56pm
post #3 of 13

I use this recipe. Spice cake mix, four eggs, 1/3 cup oil, 1 cup water, 4 oz. pkg instant vanilla pudding mix, and 2 cups shredded carrots. Bake until knife inserted in center comes out clean. It makes a delicious, moist dense cake. And of course, I use cream cheese frosting. I have a picture of my carrot cake in my photos, if you want to take a peek. It's a four-layer 10 inch cake (double above recipe).

Good luck!

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 13

I must admit I love cake mix cakes, but carrot is one of the cakes I would always make from scratch...there is a really good recipe on allrecipes dot com for a carrot cake that I always get compliments on. It's called Best Carrot Cake Ever and has 4.5 stars with 540 reviews.

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 13

there is a box carrot cake mix cant remember if it's dh or bc but to be quite honest nothing and I mean nothing tastes better than carrot cake from scratch. as for filling I personally like creamcheese frosting with crushed walnuts mixed in it's to die for lol. Go for the scratch cake it's just as easy as mix with extender and you'll be glad you did when all the compliments come flowing in. I have a great recipe as well but they are all pretty much the same so just pick any one you want. I like raisins and pineapple as well as walnuts in mine.

Shaynamills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaynamills Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 13

Ok, well, maybe I'll have to try the scratch recipe, my only concern is in the past I can never get my scratch cakes to rise in the middle and I don't want a flat cake, any suggestions?

CambriasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CambriasCakes Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:43pm
post #7 of 13

Betty Crocker makes a carrot cake mix which has the instructions for add-ins right on the back. I've always used that recipe and the cakes come out REALLY good. You just add crushed pineapple, coconut, nuts and raisins - very delicious. I use a cream cheese filling for the icing as well. Good luck!

JanetPlanet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetPlanet Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:51pm
post #8 of 13

I can't find my all-time favorite carrot cake recipe (yet...I just KNOW my sister swiped the recipe card!), but when I've tried others I've learned that, IMO ~

Always use a recipe with oil or it will be dry, add crushed pineapple (with sugar and SOME juice), and use finely GRATED carrots (including the juice you make when grating), not just shredded carrots. I think my next test will be to try a recipe using baby food carrots ~ the "finely grated" work is necessary, but a pain.

FOR SURE use a cream cheese frosting, or this guy won't think of it as a "real" carrot cake. And use a filling that is heavy on the cream cheese (more than you will use in the frosting) ~ like what you would also use on pumpkin rolls. Chopped walnuts are really good in it, too ~ and sprinkle some on top.

Oh oh ~ now I'm drooling for pumpkin rolls. That would be a cool spin on a carrot cake if you rolled it up the same way. Just substitute grated carrots for the pumpkin!

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalina1977

I must admit I love cake mix cakes, but carrot is one of the cakes I would always make from scratch...there is a really good recipe on allrecipes dot com for a carrot cake that I always get compliments on. It's called Best Carrot Cake Ever and has 4.5 stars with 540 reviews.

I use this recipe as well, it is FABULOUS!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:53pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaynamills

Ok, well, maybe I'll have to try the scratch recipe, my only concern is in the past I can never get my scratch cakes to rise in the middle and I don't want a flat cake, any suggestions?

icon_lol.gif I'm sorry to laugh.. and I only do so because this means you are making your scratch cakes perfectly.. you don't want it to dome in the middle. Many people would love to have your problem. Now if they are sinking in the middle that different, but if they are nice and level.. perfection! thumbs_up.gif

I submmitted a carrot cake recipe that doesn't have many add ins.. just carrots and cinnamon.. it's a scratch cake and very good IMHO.

Nikki_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki_B Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 1:27am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaynamills

If it's not doming in the middle then it's perfect- ideally your cakes should come out almost perfectly level. If it's falling then you likely need to look at the steps of how you're assembling your cake, i.e. problems creaming.

As someone else said, if you're doing a carrot cake from scratch, DO use a recipe with oil.

Rainybaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rainybaby Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 1:32pm
post #12 of 13

i have a ? about this. I am doing a topsy turvy cake for a contest and wondered.... if I am doing a carrot cake as one of my teirs can I use cream cheese frosting under the fondant? Also, does anyone have a pumpkin cake recipe for a layer cake? Thanks!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Sep 2007 , 11:59am
post #13 of 13

You could use cream cheese, but make sure it's not a loose frosting as cream cheese frosting can sometimes be. Usually the less powdered sugar you use the better you are. If it's loose.. adding more PS will make it worse.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%