Gumpaste Monograms. . . How Do . . .

Decorating By moralna Updated 24 Sep 2007 , 6:05pm by KimAZ

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 10

you do them? Do you form a wire and then cover with gumpaste? Is there another way?

9 replies
lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 10

I haven't done one yet, but I think I've seen others say they rolled, or used a clay gun to get the gumpaste into a long roll, shaped it into the letters then let it dry. I'm guessing either toothpicks or floral wire are insterted into the bottom before it dries so it can be placed into the cake.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 10

I used Royal Icing. I traced the monogram onto parchment paper then I thinned the royal icing out a bit to get a smoother finish. I inserted tooth picks into the bottom of the letters and then let them dry over night and VOILA!! monograms!!

WarEagle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WarEagle Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 10

I did monograms for the side of a cake 2 weeks ago. I printed out the monograms in the font the bride chose. Then, because I wanted the fonts to be a little thicker and more "exaggerated" to fit the cake (and so I could make sure that was what I really wanted), I overlaid a piece of acetate/plastic over the printed letters and drew the thicker letters on the plastic. Then I kneaded the gumpaste very well and made ropes to form the letters. After they dried, I brushed the initials with pearl dust. I attached them to the cake with buttercream. The bride loved them!

moralna Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 10

Wow - thanks guys for all the suggestions!!

Cancook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cancook Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 1:02pm
post #6 of 10

Guys, I have been talking to this bride that wants a monogram with rhinestones on them...okay..that's fine I can roll gum paste and when still fresh place the stones there ( don't know where to find stones?) but what I REALLY need to know is...HOW MUCH TO CHARGE PER LETTER??? Can anyone help me?

Thank you very much! icon_smile.gif))

moralna Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 1:03pm
post #7 of 10

I would like to know if there is a place to order edible "rhinestones" myself.

Heather35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather35 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 10

I found this web site for edible jewels, but they always sem to be out of stock

www.thejewelsofdenial.com

kwdonlon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kwdonlon Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 6:04pm
post #9 of 10

Interesting website, Heather. The owner sells edible cake jewels and has a cloth diaper business! Gotta love it!!

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 6:05pm
post #10 of 10

Here is another website where you can order edible jewels.

http://www.fancyflours.com/site/xdpy/s/Cake%20Jewels/index.html

KimAZ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%