What Did She Use?

Decorating By CSMoore Updated 13 Sep 2007 , 11:35pm by CSMoore

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 8

Hi Everyone...I need a little help. One of my client has asked me to recreate a smaller version of a cake made at "Merry's Custom Cakes". I'm trying to figure out what can be used to give the thin sheik look of the red boards/plates/etc that is under each tier of the cake. I'm figuring that they are about 1 to 2 inches bigger than the cake. I was thinking that 1 cake circle would give the thin look but it wont be strength enough to keep the icing from cracking on the cake. I also thought that a plate couldn't work since the edges are a little lifted. Any thought on what I can use to get this look? I've attached a picture. Thanks

Csmoore
LL

7 replies
tnuty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tnuty Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 8

I think the cake circles are covered in Red Foil.. what about plastic seperator plates..

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 8

I use boards. My son cuts them out for me. Then I would cover them in red foil. I have used foil wrapping paper which is cheaper than the foil wrap from Wilton.

Diane

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 8

There could be some sort of support (doubled-up cardboard cake boards, cake plates, masonite...) disguised as part of the cake, then placed on the foil wrapped board.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 8

You could check the craft shop or hardware store and see if they have pieces of heavy duty plastic or glass in the color you need... I've seen alot of people use mirrors and just plain glass...

If all else fails... contact the original creator of the cake and ask them...

dooleybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dooleybug Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 8

My husband cuts out my cake boards for me using the thin backing board that he uses on the backs of bookshelves. Then I cover them with the foil.

pidge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pidge Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 8

I think they are foil covered boards on top of the normal wilton separator plates. The fountain idea and pillars are definitely wilton. like becky said, if you can't figure out something you can always contact the original baker (too bad it's not a CC memeber's cake!!)

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 11:35pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone. I was thinking that it maybe glass circles or masonite boards. I will check at Lowe's or Home Depot and see what i can find. Red glass circles would be very pretty and simple. Worst come to worst, I will just get some masonite boards. Thanks again everyone.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%