Vegan Mmf Recipe?

Baking By mieyo Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 6:25pm by kellertur

mieyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mieyo Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:07am
post #1 of 23

I'm looking into marshmallow fondant for molding and figure creation, but have moral reservations about using real marshmallows due to the use of gelatin.

I have noticed that a lot of marshmallow cremes do not have gelatin in them, and wondered if using a creme instead of marshmallows would have any impact on its sculpting/molding ability and shape retention since you have to melt them any way.

Has anyone ever tried this?

22 replies
Cloudsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cloudsmom Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:14am
post #2 of 23

Hi - I'm a vegetarian and I use the marshmallow creme for my mmf. There's a recipe on this site:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2148-Easy-Marshmallow-Fondant.html

I think it works great - I haven't had any problems with it.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:23am
post #3 of 23

Thank you! I have been wanting something to offer my vegetarian clients-- when I get some! icon_lol.gif

mieyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mieyo Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:46am
post #4 of 23

Thanks so much! I can't wait to try this!

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:49am
post #5 of 23

okay, mm creme is NOT vegan! so by the title of your thread, its impossible to make "vegan" mmf. but, it is vegetarian, so if you're okay using eggs then by all means use mm fluff. but, for any one who's vegan, i don't want there to be confusion about whats cruelty free and whats not. a lot of commercial fondants (satin ice for one) are vegan, so i always buy mine.

Cloudsmom Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:08am
post #6 of 23

Sorry, that's true, forgot about the eggs!

Nikki_B Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nikki_B Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:16am
post #7 of 23

Also should be noted that anything with gelatin in it is not vegan.

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 23

okay so what is the difference between vegan and vegetarian? vegan=no animal products at all.... (including eggs, milk, butter??) Vegetarian.....nothing that had to bleed (all meat? including fish??)

beccakelly Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 23

there are different types of vegetarians, but mostly they do not eat meat. ovo veg won't eat eggs either, but will still eat dairy, lacto veg will not do dairy but will eat eggs. vegan (or strict vegetarian) does not use or consume any animal products, no leather, angora, eggs, dairy, geletin, etc. a person who eats fish but not other types of meat is a person who eats fish and not other types of meat. they are not really vegetarians at all (although a lot of them like to think they are)

edited*

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:22pm
post #10 of 23

'Round these parts I've always heard the fish eaters call themselves semi-vegetarian. icon_smile.gif And there are also folks around here who eat meat of any kind only as an occasional treat, reducing consumption primarily for resource (environmental) reasons rather than cruelty reasons (meat is a lot more resource-dense than veg), but they don't really have a name that I'm aware of.

You may be able to do fondant using agar instead of gelatin, but I'm not positive. I do know you can make marshmallows without the eggs ('cause I do it myself), but haven't tried the agar substitution for the gelatin. If anybody tries it (as in substitution in anything), lemmeno how it goes!

beccakelly Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:51pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by breelaura

'Round these parts I've always heard the fish eaters call themselves semi-vegetarian. icon_smile.gif And there are also folks around here who eat meat of any kind only as an occasional treat, reducing consumption primarily for resource (environmental) reasons rather than cruelty reasons (meat is a lot more resource-dense than veg), but they don't really have a name that I'm aware of.

You may be able to do fondant using agar instead of gelatin, but I'm not positive. I do know you can make marshmallows without the eggs ('cause I do it myself), but haven't tried the agar substitution for the gelatin. If anybody tries it (as in substitution in anything), lemmeno how it goes!

ya the fish eaters like to call themselves "semi vegetarian" or "pesci vegetarian", but when it comes down to it, they eat fish, fish is meat (despite what the catholic church believes), and meat makes you not a vegetarian! but, i am a little biased being vegetarian myself and DH is vegan. the fish eating thing bugs me when they try to say they are vegetarian of any sort! lol. icon_wink.gif

i've tried making fondant with kosher "gelatin" (im not sure what it really is) and it was tempermental. i like buying it because its easy, and consistent, and tastes good. i can't imagine having the time to make your own mm's without the eggs, then making them into mmf!!

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 2:58pm
post #12 of 23

If you were going to make fondant as an end product, I'd probably just go with regular fondant, subsituting the gelatin in that recipe, rather than making the mm's and then making mmf.

I'm an optivore myself (as in I'll eat anything in sight icon_wink.gif), but I do try to be at least a little impact-aware.

chococherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chococherry Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:25pm
post #13 of 23

When I want to make Vegan MMF, I follow the recipe on here - but I buy Vegan Marshamllows - I buy them at our vegan/health food store. You have to use a bit of extra PS, but it has the same texture. Also, the color of them is a bit... yellow-gold, so I always use coloring.

HTH

chococherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chococherry Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:26pm
post #14 of 23

When I want to make Vegan MMF, I follow the recipe on here - but I buy Vegan Marshamllows - I buy them at our vegan/health food store. You have to use a bit of extra PS, but it has the same texture. Also, the color of them is a bit... yellow-gold, so I always use coloring.

HTH

beccakelly Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:31pm
post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by chococherry

HTH

oh ya, vegan mm's, i forgot about those because our health food store doesn't carry them. they were too expensive to order online and pay for shipping and all that. so again, for me its not worth it to make my own vegan fondant. too much hassle for me! LOL,

oneprimalscream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oneprimalscream Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 4:27pm
post #16 of 23

I was a strict vegan for many, many years. I eat MOSTLY a vegan diet still, but make exceptions for certain things (I can't live without cheese, and I love fish).

But even if I'm no longer vegan, most of my friends still are...and they don't know anyone else who can bust out a vegan 'chocolate' cake like I can icon_smile.gif

I have used Marshmallow Creme for making MMF in the past and it worked really well. I even used it to make about 50 roses (added a tiny bit of gumtex to it), and it held up wonderfully.

I have also had vegan marshmallows, but with the cost being a little on the pricey-side, I have never used them for making MMF.

Cloudsmom Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 4:00am
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccakelly

ya the fish eaters like to call themselves "semi vegetarian" or "pesci vegetarian", but when it comes down to it, they eat fish, fish is meat (despite what the catholic church believes), and meat makes you not a vegetarian! but, i am a little biased being vegetarian myself and DH is vegan. the fish eating thing bugs me when they try to say they are vegetarian of any sort! lol. icon_wink.gif

i've tried making fondant with kosher "gelatin" (im not sure what it really is) and it was tempermental. i like buying it because its easy, and consistent, and tastes good. i can't imagine having the time to make your own mm's without the eggs, then making them into mmf!!

From what I understand, kosher gelatin is still gelatin, and it is animal derived.

I don't believe the Catholic church has ever claimed that fish is "vegetarian"... the rule about no meat on Fridays during Lent is meant as a type of penance; a small way of showing appreciation for Jesus' suffering.

Not that it applies to me - I don't eat fish either! icon_smile.gif

beccakelly Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 1:55pm
post #18 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsmom

From what I understand, kosher gelatin is still gelatin, and it is animal derived.

perhaps some brands are animal derived, but the one i got wasn't, its made of vegetable gums and sugar. i checked the box. you get good at that when you shop vegan.

Quote:
Quote:

I don't believe the Catholic church has ever claimed that fish is "vegetarian"... the rule about no meat on Fridays during Lent is meant as a type of penance; a small way of showing appreciation for Jesus' suffering.

the catholic church comment was a joke

Cloudsmom Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 6:32pm
post #19 of 23

Sorry, didn't mean to be overly sensitive. I hear a lot of Catholic bashing.

What brand did you find that was vegetable derived? I've never been able to find any.

beccakelly Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 7:38pm
post #20 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsmom

Sorry, didn't mean to be overly sensitive. I hear a lot of Catholic bashing.

What brand did you find that was vegetable derived? I've never been able to find any.

i've got Kojel brand kosher/vegan "gelatin". here's a link to it:
http://www.veganstore.com/vegan-food-items/other-sweets/kojel-unflavored-gel-powder/Page_1/246.html
the stuff i have isn't diet, and i got it at a local kosher mart. but i never use it anymore, i wasn't too impressed with my fondant results with it. maybe now that i have more experience it would be easier to get right.

Cloudsmom Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:44pm
post #21 of 23

Thanks!!

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:48am
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by beccakelly

there are different types of vegetarians, but mostly they do not eat meat. ovo veg won't eat eggs either, but will still eat dairy, lacto veg will not do dairy but will eat eggs.
edited*

This is backwards. Ovo vegetarians WILL eat eggs, and lacto vegetarians eat dairy. Ovo-lacto vegetarians eat both dairy and eggs but no meat.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 6:25pm
post #23 of 23

Fish is not a vegetable, neither is chicken. You're either vegetarian or you're not...you can't be a "little vegetarian". In my opinion, the term vegetarian should not include eggs or dairy, etc. either since they are not vegetable based, but that is a whole other can of worms all together. And we all have a right ot our beliefs and opinions if we're respectful of other's. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%