Somebody Help...

Decorating By pinknlee Updated 11 Nov 2006 , 3:56am by mdutcher

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:08am
post #1 of 14

...I am out of wax paper. I can't run to the store. No parchment either. Is there any thing else I can wrap the cake plate/board with so it looks nice when finished? Would freezer paper work, the cake will go back in the fridge tonight?

13 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:12am
post #2 of 14

I use freezer paper since it has a nice waxy side.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:13am
post #3 of 14

Some CC members use freezer wrap, shiny side up, I think they said. Should work fine! Janice

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:13am
post #4 of 14

Thank you I just let out a big ol' sigh when I read that!

shelie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelie Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:14am
post #5 of 14

I wrap my cake boards with scrapbook paper and saran wrap. They turn out very nice and the possiblities are endless icon_smile.gif

mdutcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdutcher Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:15am
post #6 of 14

I think you can use the freezer paper. I've always just used foil, but just today, I heard it's not food safe!....Which baffles me because they sell it to cover food, so why can't you put food on it???? Anyway, I'll do a search later to find out why.....Sorry for the tangent!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:16am
post #7 of 14

I'm a regular freezer paper user!

Canela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Canela Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:24am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

I think you can use the freezer paper. I've always just used foil, but just today, I heard it's not food safe!....Which baffles me because they sell it to cover food, so why can't you put food on it???? Anyway, I'll do a search later to find out why.....Sorry for the tangent!

That can't be right!!! Where did you hear that? Did you get one of those "forwards" in your email? If so, I bet it is a hoax!

mdutcher Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:30am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canela

Quote:
Quote:

That can't be right!!! Where did you hear that? Did you get one of those "forwards" in your email? If so, I bet it is a hoax!

Actually, I read it on a different thread here! I made a mental note to do some research and haven't done it yet. I'll let you know when I find out...maybe start a new thread about just that!

SwampWitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwampWitch Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:34am
post #10 of 14

Are you thinking about Fanci Foil? It's not the same thing as aluminum foil, which is food safe. Here's the thread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-50994-fanci.html+foil

Cheers, from
SwampWitch

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:37am
post #11 of 14

Aluminium can cause a reaction in food. Just as if you leave a spoon in anything milk or egg based and put it in the fridge it will cause it to become toxic. I have never heard of anyone dying from it but it can make you sick. Since foil is aluminum it has the same reaction from my understanding.

Here is a quote from the following site link

aluminum foil may not be the wisest choice for food storage?

Aluminum is the most prevalent metal on earth and can be found virtually everywhere: soil, air, water, and the most common method of human exposure, food. Although intake amounts from foil and cookware are usually written off as insignificant, it is still unknown exactly what harm excess aluminum could be doing to our bodies.

It is known that the longer food is cooked or stored in aluminum, the more it will suck up the metal. It is also know that acidic food (such as tomato products) in direct contact with aluminum foil will corrode the foil and cause holes, defeating its purpose and giving the dish an unpleasant, metallic taste. Glass containers will better keep foods for storage. If you use a piece of aluminum foil to keep a plate warm, first place a paper towel or layer of plastic wrap in between so its not in direct contact with the food.

Besides the above, have you ever had a piece of aluminum foil accidentally pinched between your teeth? Ouch!

http://www.marilynfarms.com/index.php?main_page=mfc_article_info&products_id=391

Canela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Canela Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:45am
post #12 of 14

This is not exactly the same like foil, but similar I think. I read this on the paper some time ago:

Quote:
Quote:

DEAR DR. DONOHUE: Recently, I heard that drinking or eating out of cans will cause aluminum poisoning. I also heard that food cooked in a microwave oven still retains some aluminum and that we, in turn, ingest it. Is either of these claims true? Anon.

DEAR DR. DONOHUE: My sister called to tell me that canned food can become tainted with aluminum and that I should not use it. I have many cans of food and am reluctant to throw them out. Should I? A.S.

A: Where did this information come from? Was it the Internet? The Internet is a wonderful source of information, but not all of the information on it is true. You have to be discriminating about what you read there.

There is no basis in fact that canned foods or eating or drinking out of cans causes aluminum poisoning. Dont throw your canned food away.

mdutcher Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:54am
post #13 of 14

I just started a thread about this before I read the other posts on this one. Thank you, patticakesnc, you pretty much summed it up for me............... and yeah, ouch! lol.

mdutcher Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 3:56am
post #14 of 14

oops

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%