Need Suggestions For A Cake Design

Decorating By shortNsweet Updated 12 Nov 2006 , 2:51am by gibbler

shortNsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shortNsweet Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 1:06am
post #1 of 17

I have an order for a cake for my husband's co-worker. He is celebrating his one year of sobriety. What kind of design would you do for something like this??? Any ideas or suggestions? I'd appreciate your help! Thanks!

16 replies
AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 1:13am
post #2 of 17

A tasteful one I would say. A nice manly looking one with Congratulations on it.

reenie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reenie Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 1:22am
post #3 of 17

I'm thinking a sheet cake or even and oval cake with white icing and gold colored scroll along the top of the cake as a frame and then a classic shell border to finish the bottom of the cake. As far as the saying, sorry, I'm drawing a blank besides the regular Congrats.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 2:50am
post #4 of 17

if he is in AA

"Bill sends his congrats."

shortNsweet Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 17

It is his 10th year of being sober! A REAL reason to celebrate!

Lillybelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lillybelle Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 1:20am
post #6 of 17

Any kind of congratulations cake with streamers would work. Or you could somehow fashion a guy's arm with big muscles - saying 'so proud you muscled through it' or 'Tower of Stength' or something.

shortNsweet Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 1:39am
post #7 of 17

Lillybelle,
I like your suggestion for the saying! What do you mean by "streamers" though?

getfrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
getfrosted Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 1:48am
post #8 of 17

I went to a 'meeting/celebration' for my FIL's 10th year at AA and they gave him a medallion. Maybe you could incorporate that if you can get a picture of one on the cake???

gibbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibbler Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 1:53am
post #9 of 17

I went to the AA website and their logo is a series of builiding blocks with one block that seems to be coming down to connect with the others. They have various sayings between the set of blocks and the one coming down. You may want to use their logo and put the words between.
LL

mxpark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mxpark Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 1:58am
post #10 of 17

for streamers you can just use gumpaste and make curls and spirals. some silver luster dust on them would look good too.

shortNsweet Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:03am
post #11 of 17

Getfrosted...what a GREAT idea! I wonder if I go on the AA website, if they will have a photo of that 10 year medallion...or if I coudl e-mail someone on that site and ask for a photo of one.
GIBBLER...How nice of you to go to the website and get that picture for me! You are so kind! That is also a great idea...thank you all for your input! I really appreciate it!

reneemw3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneemw3 Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:06am
post #12 of 17

Not sure if you can print edible images, but the serenity prayer is used in AA.

Good luck!!! I am sure you will come up with something to make him proud.

getfrosted Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:28am
post #13 of 17

shortNsweet - when is your cake due? My FIL lives 2 1/2 hours from me and of course doesn't have a scanner, but he is coming here next Friday (18th), and if you cake isn't due until after that I can ask him to bring it and I can scan if for you .... just an idea!

shortNsweet Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:34am
post #14 of 17

Getfrosted,
WOW...I'm so amazed how nice everyone here is, and how out of their way everyone will go to to help others. You are SO sweet to offer that! I need the cake by December 6th. That woudl be SO awsome if you could do that! that is...if you have the time of course...I know everyone will be busy with the holiday coming up...Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Lillybelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lillybelle Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:36am
post #15 of 17

I think MXpark just answered, but it is as simple as wrappping strips of fondant around a pencil or something thin to dry and then piling the spirals on the cake.

Good Luck!

getfrosted Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:50am
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortNsweet

Getfrosted,
WOW...I'm so amazed how nice everyone here is, and how out of their way everyone will go to to help others. You are SO sweet to offer that! I need the cake by December 6th. That woudl be SO awsome if you could do that! that is...if you have the time of course...I know everyone will be busy with the holiday coming up...Thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Everyone has helped me out here and I am grateful to all of you for your support and encouragement so I gladly help out where I can! Talked to my FIL and he will bring his medallions on Friday and I will take pictures and email them to you. Please PM your email address so that I can send them to you.

Leanne : )

gibbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibbler Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 2:51am
post #17 of 17

I went surfing again. There are several websites that sell the medallions. This is the only one I found with a picture of the 10 year.

http://www.hazelden.org/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?AID=10273664&item=2960&PID=1113773&prddb_prod=zWzKo9B5MNHbR5CWYDpyCAKm:S&prddb_prod_pses=prddb_prod%3DzWzKo9B5MNHbR5CWYDpyCAKm%253AS%7E

Inscribed with the words Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path, this antiqued bronze commemorative medallion is engraved with your years of sobriety in roman numerals.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%