Fondant Cracking???

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 14 Sep 2007 , 12:55am by OzCookie

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:22am
post #1 of 13

Hey all to the CC'ers , i have tried to make swags and drapes, they look pretty good until they dry and then i notice cracks in them, what am i doing wrong?? i use straight fondant and then i used 50/50
Thanks for any info on this icon_rolleyes.gif

12 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:27am
post #2 of 13

are you rolling your fondant out on cornstartch? I have seen others have problems with the cornstartch or powdered sugar as it is absorbed into the fondant and then pulls out more moisture possible making the fondant crack.

not sure if this is it or not, but something I have seen.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:54am
post #3 of 13

All I can think of is that it was too dry to start with - use shortening to make it soft & pliable ...and like leily said, avoid the cornflour icon_biggrin.gif

hope this helps

OzCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OzCookie Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 9:49am
post #4 of 13

Adding shortening will help, but if you have any glycerine available, dampen your palms with it (don't use too much) and knead it in - this will slow down the drying time a little. Also, roll the fondant as finely as is practical. There is no need to add gumpaste if the fondant is fine.

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 11:34am
post #5 of 13

try kneading some glycerine into your fondant ....works great thumbs_up.gif

Lemonydoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemonydoodles Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 13

I have only had this happen once...yesterday w/ my MMF...all I did was add a little more Crisco to my hands and a little on the ball of fondant and it helped.....on items that I have already molded and are being laid out to dry, I just put crisco on my finger and very gently smooth it on the piece and that has worked very well for me icon_wink.gif

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks, everyone! I'm also having problems with my fondant not cooperating. I've tried the Crisco but now I'll try the glycerine and see how that works. thumbs_up.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakebaker1957

Hey all to the CC'ers , i have tried to make swags and drapes, they look pretty good until they dry and then i notice cracks in them, what am i doing wrong?? i use straight fondant and then i used 50/50
Thanks for any info on this icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks to all for the info, i dont usually use cornstarch it looks good until it drys then wham cracks appear

ysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ysa Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:59am
post #9 of 13

it happened to me yesterday..my fondant is quite okay..smooth and satin like....the left over fondant just suddenly dried out and won't stick together... i know i've put too much thumbs_up.gif hope a little glycerin will help

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 9:28am
post #10 of 13

The same thing is hapening to me with the gumpaste....... can you add a little glycerine to that as well ?

OzCookie Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 10:03am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by grama_j

The same thing is hapening to me with the gumpaste....... can you add a little glycerine to that as well ?

No, not to gumpaste. If it is cracking, try adding a tiny bit of Crisco or similar to the piece you are working with and keep the rest VERY well covered. Try to avoid using too much powdered sugar or cornstarch to work with and, if all else fails, knead in a little fondant to slow down drying.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 11:54am
post #12 of 13

Thanks, Oz.... would it work if I put the Crisco on my work surface ?

OzCookie Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 12:55am
post #13 of 13

Yes - that's how I work.
I have very hot hands, and find that the gumpaste dries out very quickly for me, so I have to avoid working with cornstarch or powdered sugar.
Be aware, though, if you are working on a non-stick workboard of the type sold in cake-decorator supply shops, the gumpaste actually sticks lightly (not enough to do damage). When I roll it out, I lift the gumpaste off the board before cutting out then, if necessary, use a small angled spatula to lift the cut out piece off the board.
This sounds very fiddly, but you very quickly get into a rhythm with it and wonder how you ever worked any differently!

HTH! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%