I Have 5 Cakes To Make In A Week...

Decorating By bjhjewels65 Updated 12 Nov 2006 , 11:33am by cakesbyamym

bjhjewels65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjhjewels65 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 7

I have 5 cakes to make in a week...I work a full time job and do cakes on the side for friends and family....I know I can make my cakes and freeze them...does anyone else have more ideals that I can work ahead to make them go smoothly.

6 replies
cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 7

join the club...lol

as for idea's just be as organized as possible...make a date to bake, make a date to make BC, a date for pre-made decorations and a date for assembly

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 12:08am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefairy18

join the club...lol

as for idea's just be as organized as possible...make a date to bake, make a date to make BC, a date for pre-made decorations and a date for assembly

Couldn't have said it better! thumbs_up.gif

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 1:20am
post #4 of 7

I bake on Wednesday, make frosting on Thursday and decorate on Friday unless I have something during the week and then I bake on Sunday and frost on Monday if possible or the day before it is due. We have to learn to say no?!?!?!?!?!

starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 1:29am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoSweets

I bake on Wednesday, make frosting on Thursday and decorate on Friday unless I have something during the week and then I bake on Sunday and frost on Monday if possible or the day before it is due. We have to learn to say no?!?!?!?!?!

realy though! We all do that dont we? Why is it so hard for us Cakers to say sorry, cant? I guess its cuz we love to make others happy.
And i agree with alamo sweets on the scheduling. Good Luck!! thumbs_up.gif

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 4:45am
post #6 of 7

Another time saver is to make all the colors you'll be needing ahead of time too. Prepare your bags with couplers so they're ready to be filled. Prepare all your cake boards ahead too.

If I have a lot of cakes for the same day, I do as much prep work the day or two before as I can. Making frosting, coloring it, prepping bags and boards. Making any flowers or fondant accents/pieces ahead too. Especially those things that need extra time to dry.

Hope that helps!
KimAZ

cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 11:33am
post #7 of 7

I don't know how "organized" this is, but I have my own little routine that I follow. On Sunday, I'll go through my orders. I make out a sheet for fondant...add anything that needs to be made in advance for this week's orders. Then, I begin with Monday's orders...write down what I need to bake (cake, cookies, etc.), any items to go with the order (icings, fondant pieces, etc.) I stay one day ahead, unless it's a wedding order, and we all know that you can't do a wedding cake in a day. I sit out my colors for icings to be mixed, boxes and boards needed for each order, patterns, etc. Supplies are placed WITH the orders on my extension counter (just a big bar area), and ready to go. I work a full time job, too. I think that the majority of us here at CC do. It's just finding YOUR niche that works best for you and your family life. Hang in there!!! We've all been there...are there.. icon_smile.gif

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%