Basket Weave Cake

Decorating By LittleKaren Updated 12 Sep 2007 , 12:16am by cakebaker1957

LittleKaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleKaren Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 6

I have an order for a basket weave cake to serve about 10-12 people and I have a couple of questions.

Do you think the pans from course 2 would be enough cake for this amount of people?

Approximate amount you would charge for this cake? There will be a quite a few flowers on it.

Can you make daisies and all the other flowers out of course two just as easily with buttercream as with royal icing? And if so, can they be made ahead of time and added later?

Thanks so much for any help. Still new to this and a little unsure of a few things!!!!!

5 replies
cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know what course 2 pans were since I didn't go to any Wilton classes. In my pics, there's 1 or 2 basketweave cakes with strawberries on top. I didn't charge for them because they were either for friends or family. If I was going to charge, it would have been $50. They would easily serve 12 to 14 people.

Good Luck!

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 6

I'm such a knucklehead. The cakes I was talking about were 8" - 2 layer.

Sorry!!

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 6

From what my instructor has said, you cannot make all of the flowers from course 2 in buttercream because it doesn't stand up as well as royal icing. I have never tried but this is what she said. According to the Wilton book, the cake pans from the course serve 9 party size servings, 13 wedding size servings. HTH

Mary Jo

Yorkiemum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yorkiemum Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 11:36pm
post #5 of 6

The pans from course 2 are the oval 7.5x5x2 inch. I don't think you could serve 10-12 with that pan. I just can't see getting that many cuts out of it. I surely couldn't charge more than $25-30 for it. Thats a really small cake. I gave it as a gift to 4 people. Let's see what others say.

Also, you can make some of the course 2 flowers out of buttercream but Royal will be better.

Good luck with it.

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:16am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKaren

I have an order for a basket weave cake to serve about 10-12 people and I have a couple of questions.

Do you think the pans from course 2 would be enough cake for this amount of people?

Approximate amount you would charge for this cake? There will be a quite a few flowers on it.

Can you make daisies and all the other flowers out of course two just as easily with buttercream as with royal icing? And if so, can they be made ahead of time and added later?

Thanks so much for any help. Still new to this and a little unsure of a few things!!!!!

Hi i just made the cake from the course 2 they are Oval right?? anyways i made it and did the basket weave on it and i told the person that it would serve around 10 people , she was ok with that but they cant be too big or you'll run out of cake, and i charged her $20.00 Hope this helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%