Buffalonians?

Decorating By JillK Updated 12 Oct 2007 , 9:03pm by schildwaster

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 28

OK, I've danced around this topic before with little response, so now I'm just going to go right ahead and ask. icon_biggrin.gif Anyone out there from the Buffalo/Western New York area? I'd love to find someone local with whom to trade cake tips, etc.

I'm especially looking for a cake-decorating supply store in this neck of the woods -- something besides AC Moore, Joann's and Michael's. (Although heaven knows I spend enough at all three! icon_rolleyes.gif ) And classes that aren't Wilton ... I've taken them all now and still want to learn more.

Ontario counts, too! The southeast portion is closer to us than most of New York is. icon_razz.gif Thanks!

27 replies
alphafemale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alphafemale Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 28

Hi JillK!

I'm in Jamestown, so we have wayyyyyy less places than you to shop! I usually head to Erie or order from CK.

I've taken the 3 Wilton classes, too (AC Moore in Erie), but I don't know of any others, either. So, I'm interested to see who else replies to this, too.

sable905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sable905 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 28

Hi, I just moved from Buffalo (born and bread) one year ago. I never found much variety in the way of cake decorating either. I mostly ordered online.

Jami icon_biggrin.gif

MissT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissT Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 28

Hi JillK - I live in Blasdell, NY and unfortunately, now that BakeMark has moved, I don't know any place local to get supplies. However, for luster dust you can go to Candy Makers on Genesee and you can get gel food coloring (though not Americolor, it is just as good) and a good variety of Aztec decorating tips at Viddler's in East Aurora. I am not sure if the BakeMark Cash and Carry store will reopen after the whole business moves - I think to Union Road in Cheektowaga. I hope so!!!!

Until then, there is always ordering by mail from CC, Country Kitchen, etc.

PM me if you like.

DRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DRose Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 3:37am
post #5 of 28

I live in Dunkirk and there isn't anywhere close but Walmart and Paper Factory in Fredonia, to buy supplies. Which are very limited. I hope the BakeMark Cash and Carry will be there. icon_surprised.gif , I didn't know they moved. I went there to buy the fillings in a "sleeve", flavoring and nuts.

MissT Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 28

Awesome News!!!! Maple Leaf foods reopened the Cash & Carry Store!! icon_biggrin.gif

I don't know exactly what they have there (I found out by phone) but I do know that their hours changed to Monday thru Friday until 5:00 pm. I'll have to play hookey from work to check it out. icon_lol.gif I will let you know if/when I make it there.

If anyone else gets there, can you please let me know what it is like?

TIA!!

JillK Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 5:49pm
post #7 of 28

Yay!!! icon_biggrin.gif Although I'm probably going to have to play hooky too ... oh, well. Thanks SO much for the information!

DRose Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 3:09am
post #8 of 28

That's great news! Thank You. Are they still at the William Street address or at a new location?

MissT Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 11:56am
post #9 of 28

Hi DRose,

It seems that they are in the same location. I looked it up online and the address is still 1400 William Street.

Please let me know if you get there and what type of products they have (pans, fondant, cake boards, boxes, etc.).

Thanks!!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 14 Sep 2007 , 3:03pm
post #10 of 28

Can't help but wanted to say hello!

JillK Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 4:42pm
post #11 of 28

Sorry so belated, but hi! *waves madly* icon_biggrin.gif Always great to hear from fellow WNYers!

luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 4:57pm
post #12 of 28

After reading all the posts, I feel silly admitting this, but...

I clicked on this thread because I didn't know what a Buffalonian was icon_redface.gif but now I do.

victorianne_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
victorianne_sweets Posted 19 Sep 2007 , 5:17pm
post #13 of 28

Oh, oh! (waving frantically)

St. Catharines, Ontario here!

I get boxes and boards locally from Kaumeyer paper. Sure, I have to order 50 or 100, but when the cost goes from $2 or $3 per box down to less than a buck, well, it's worth it!

Jodi

kay52178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kay52178 Posted 21 Sep 2007 , 6:07pm
post #14 of 28

Hi - I'm from Lancaster, New York. I would LOVE to share advice too!

I usually go to Bakemark, but the last time I went there it was closed for inventory - (that was Aug. 27th). I've been going to the Rich's outlet store now but not for boxes. Thankfully, I had a few on hand I've been usuing or just going to Michael's. I have yet to go there since its opened up under its new name. I can probably get there by five since I work in South Buffalo until 4:30 and its less than 15 minutes away. I will have to try to go. But if someone else goes, let me know what they have!

Keep me in the loop! I love hearing about things going on in our area!!! Also, if anyone is interested, I'd love to join a cake/cookie club. Not sure how to start it but would be willing to do it if anyone is interested...

MissT Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 6:42pm
post #15 of 28

Hi Kay - My mom went to the new Cash and Carry at BakeMark (now Mapleleaf foods), but it was just to pick up something for me real quick so I don't know if she got to look around at all. Since you were there before it changed names, could you do me a favor? Can you let me know if it seems like the same inventory of product if / when you are able to go? I know it will be quite a while before I get to go and am dying to know if it is the same.

As for a cookie / cake club, I am all in for that!!! Everyone in the area who is for it say "AYE"! I can PM my phone number to anyone interested in getting together - let me know.

Teresa

ashea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashea Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 6:57pm
post #16 of 28

Hello Guys,
I am a cake decorator and I wanted to let you all know that there is a cake supply place that I have been shopping at for the past 10 years. Bakemark as some of you guys have stated is now called Mapleleaf foods and it is now open again but there supply is slowly coming back. They have boxes, mixes, flours, fillings just about everything you would need for a bakery business. Some of the stuff that you might be looking for is not in the store but you can ask them to look it up in the computer and they most likely will have it in the warehouse which is right there too. I hope that this helps. There is also a place called Twin City supply but I recommend you ladies take along a friend. It's not that far from Bake mark(Maple Leaf) I just don't remember the address.
Adele :

chqtpi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chqtpi Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 6:59pm
post #17 of 28

Not sure if this is much help unless you have a road trip planned icon_smile.gif

There is a place in Syracuse called Top of The Cake....

they have a ton of stuff there...from pans and colors to fondant accessories...I know its kind of a trek..but maybe you would be up in this neck of the woods for something else!!

Hope that helps a little icon_smile.gif

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 7:03pm
post #18 of 28

Hey!! I saw this and had to say HI! I am about 40 minutes south of Buffalo! HI MissT!! Wondered how the cakes have been since class?? I have been super busy making wedding cakes for friends!! I was disappointed when I found out about the supply store. Since I have been going there this is the fourth time its changed names! Kinda a bummer too that they are not open on Saturdays since thats the only day I can go. Keep me posted about Bake Mark or Food Distributors opening in a different location!!

Thanks
Angela

MissT Posted 22 Sep 2007 , 10:25pm
post #19 of 28

Angela - did you take the Gumpaste class at AC Moore? I wonder if Becky taught it? I won't take it - it didn't get the best of reviews.

The cakes are still going okay. I still like it as just a hobby. I almost use BC exclusively so sometimes I am a bit limited as to what I can do. As for BakeMark (Mapleleaf Foods), I know what you mean about them not being open on Saturdays. I have a couple of vacation days that I need to use anyways, so I'll check it out then. thumbs_up.gif

Anyway, everyone keep baking and let's seriously think about a cookie / cake club!!

DRose Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 6:03am
post #20 of 28

Hi Ladies!
Ashea , Thanks for the info on the store. Glad they're getting stocked up again. icon_biggrin.gif It's a bummer they're not open Saturday anymore...

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 23 Sep 2007 , 2:48pm
post #21 of 28

Teresa- I actually emailed Becky and she said she wasn't teaching anymore since she got a new job that required her to work nights. I learned so much form her, she was such a great teacher! I saw that it was offered one month and I haven't seen it come up again. I would like to take some kind of class with the gumpaste since I have never used it! So keep me posted if you hear anything!

kay52178 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kay52178 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 12:39pm
post #22 of 28

Ok - if you want, email me your email address and we can try to get together and start a cake/cookie club.. If you have any ideas about what we can do, email that too! My email address is: [email protected]

Theresa - I usually go on Saturdays too since I work during the week. I don't need anything right at the moment, but when I go I'll let you knowicon_smile.gif...

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 12:58pm
post #23 of 28

I just needed to jump in as this is making me homesick. icon_smile.gif I'm originally from Wellsville, NY. I lived there up till 10 yrs ago. Went to college at Alfred University...now I'm living outside of Philly in NJ.

JillK Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 1:08pm
post #24 of 28

Goodness! I'm away from the computer for a few days and this thread just takes off! icon_biggrin.gif I'm all for a get-together; that would be great! And I HAVE to get to Bakemark. Their hours make it tough ....

angelcakes5, where are you? I grew up in Franklinville, south of Buffalo. My family still lives there. icon_razz.gif Not far from Wellsville, either, thecupcakemom ... and I went to St. Bonaventure University, which is even closer.

It really is a small world!

mrstoponak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrstoponak Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 1:17pm
post #25 of 28

Oh, I want to say hi too!

I live in Amherst. I am very new to the cake world, its just a hobby for me right now. I have so much to learn.

Ill just listen in on your thread, and learn more!

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 7:56pm
post #26 of 28

I am not from New York but my dh is, and just wanted to say to JillK that my dh also went to st Bonaventure university! He grew up in Olean/Allegheny area ...

DRose Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 3:13am
post #27 of 28

Hi ladies! Just wondering if anyone has been to Maple Leaf Foods? I haven't been able to get there yet.

schildwaster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schildwaster Posted 12 Oct 2007 , 9:03pm
post #28 of 28

i'm 30 minutes outside of buffalo but i go the 3 or 4 times a month. i'm in for a cake/cookie club. let me know when you are all going to meet. nobody understands my world of sugar like you guys icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%