So This Is What A Coworker Suggested . . .

Decorating By dljc Updated 11 Sep 2007 , 10:47pm by indigojods

dljc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dljc Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 10

I've been decorating for a couple of years and although I make only 6 cakes or so a year, I go for broke and challenge myself with each one. Maybe I'll put more in my photos one day but I usually just recreate ideas that I see here on CC.

So my coworker who has seen pictures of my cakes suggests that the office participate in a contest to see who can come up with a theme for a cake. A cake that I would make! Oh, of course they would help out with buying "supplies" but I would produce the cake as requested.

After I closed my mouth, I just said, "no". I don't think that she realized that she was volunteering 10-15 hours of my life to make this theme cake for work and for people I don't feel like baking for . . .

Now if it were for my kids, I'm the first one with my hand up. But for work?

I just don't get it.

Going back into my hole,
Debbie
LL

9 replies
Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 10

Yeah
im with you
a firm NO would have been my answer too
seems like she as just trying to get free yummy cake out of you

Lemonydoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemonydoodles Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 10

I think my answer too would be a "no". Unless it would be for a company party in which the office paid you for your cake....I just don't understand some people, granted I understand that a lot of people do not comprehend the time it takes to create cakes, etc. I would just tell her "thank you for admiring my skills but at this time I have no time to spare for a free cake"

Dixiegal01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dixiegal01 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 10

Ditto.....but, let me tell you, YOUR CAKE IS ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!! You do have quite a talent....you can't blame them for trying to pull a fast one on you, lol....you do wonderful work icon_eek.gif

HBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBcakes Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 10

Nice of someone who doesn't have a clue about the work to assume you'd love to labor over something like for hours just for them gobble down. I still get annoyed when people just don't think about what goes into that stuff. Two weeks ago I did a 5 tier square wedding cake and my husband's cousin asked me at the wedding "so when did you decorate it. Last night?" I controlled my annoyance with laughter when I told her "No, it took a little longer than that." (She knows I don't get home till 5:30pm and have 3 little kids to get in bed at 9:30. Those few hours must seem A LOT longer in her eyes.) You hold your ground on the NO. PLUS, if they're like people around here, they expect miracles out of you- come up with completely rediculous ideas since they have no idea what it takes to put it together!!!

LGL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LGL Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:49pm
post #6 of 10

I think you handled it appropriately!

Thank her/him for the nice compliment but indicate you don't have the time. They honestly have no idea of the time commitment. Could it be the coworker was just so excited about your cakes that she/he came up with an idea like that?

Your cake looks darling! Very fun.

meredetrois Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredetrois Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 10

If it was something you would be paid for or even if it was used for fund raising for a local charity, I wouldn't see any problem with it. But for your office mates to decide on a theme for a cake w/o realizing the time and effort that go into producing it??? I would absolutely say "no thank you".

mewie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mewie Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 10

I agree, they may not realize the time and effort it really takes to bake a cake like the one they are talking about. Also, your cake is fantastic, they would be lucky to get one of your cakes!

Monilynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monilynn Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 10

I love the cake but I agree with the saying no part !

Monica

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 10:47pm
post #10 of 10

I am sure they mean well and just do not have a clue about how much work it is! I make a lot of birthday cakes for my co-workers but when I do I get to choose the design and my co-workers chip in some money which usually comes out to about $20 or so. It has been a great way for me to try new things and get experience and everyone loves it when they get a custom birthday cake.

It sounds like you are not making a lot of cakes, but love the challenge of making ones that excite you. This might be a good opportunity to get to do that. Maybe they pick a theme, say "circus" and then you come up with something like your example cake. I would be much more open to it if I got the freedom to do what I wanted so I could try new things or make cakes that I love. It sounds to me like they would choose the theme, but you would ultimately choose the design of the cake, right?

Maybe you could also tell them that you would need them to collect at least a certain amount of money if they want to commission you to do that? A couple dollars from each person adds up quickly depending on how many people you work with.

Just my thoughts icon_smile.gif

Your circus cake is fabulous by the way. CAKE-TASTIC!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%