How Do You Get A Perfect Crisp Edge On Your Cake?

Decorating By Tug Updated 10 Nov 2006 , 4:12pm by CakesUnleashed

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 9:39am
post #1 of 10

I'm trying to practice.....looking for any excuse to make a cake to get practice. I can get a pretty smooth top and side of the cake, BUT.....can't seem to get that crisp edge on the cake (round or square)! icon_cry.gif
How do you all do that?

9 replies
revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 9:46am
post #2 of 10
MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 10

My Wilton instructor told us that if you pull your icing in from the edge it helps to get that crisp edge. She was icing her cake by doing the sides first then the top, once she put the icing on the sides and smoothed them she pulled the excess around the top edge onto the top of the cake, then added more icing to top as needed. The edge looked very nice when she was done.

tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 10

Miss Robin is exactly correct. (Hello Robin, it's Tracy)

I ice the sides first, then the top. I use the edge of the spatula to smooth/pull from the edges to the center. This will give you a nice crisp corner. I use a papertowel after the icing crust to clean up any spots that didn't get smooth.

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 2:58pm
post #5 of 10

There is a gal on this site, sugarshack, who does the most amazing buttercream-iced cakes, and whose edges are and pristinely straight as anything I've ever seen. I've been doing this for 36 years and I'm not that precise. I don't know how she does it, but she is an EXPERT in my book. Send her a pm and maybe she'll provide you with some hints and tips ... and look for her work in the galleries. You'll be amazed!

HTH

Odessa

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 10

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-19948-.html

That is a link to a post Sugarshack did about her icing technique. HTH!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 10
MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 10

See Tracy I was listening in class!!!

babyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyj Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 4:04pm
post #9 of 10

Hey all!
I usually do the sides first and then the top - but I could never get it smooth enough. I've gotten better and I do use the Viva paper towel as well as a hot/warm off set spatula or a "icing smoother"...the triangle one with the three different "sides". The next time I do a cake, I'm going to try some of SS's techniques. I checked out Sugarshack's photos....OMG!!!! her cakes are - can we say F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!!! I need to really start practicing and making cakes again. I stopped to focus on my Personal Chef business (while still working fulltime), but I'm going to get back into the cake thing for real.

CakesUnleashed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesUnleashed Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 4:12pm
post #10 of 10

Wow! You people are amazing! I am soooooo thankful for this post. I have wondered "How'd They Do That", for a very long time.

I love the ideas and the instruction is GREAT!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%