Need Help With Sheet Cake With Red Stars....

Decorating By Momof3boys Updated 10 Nov 2006 , 4:32am by Momof3boys

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 3:03am
post #1 of 7

I was asked to make a cake for a young lady turning 19. The request is for a vanilla cake with raspberry bc filling and she likes red and stars. I was thinking of doing red fondant stars and spelling out Happy Birthday so and so on the stars. My only problem is what do I use to write on the stars with? I have the food writers but what color should I use to write the letters? Also, I was thinking of doing the border in simple stars but should I do red or white or alternate with red and white? Or should I just do white stars and add red accents on the border? Sorry for all the questions, I only do this as a hobby and don't make many cakes.
Thanks in advance!

~~~Diane~~~

6 replies
cakesbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymom Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 3:09am
post #2 of 7

I really like your idea of putting letters on your fondant stars! You could write on your fondant stars with icing. Or you could roll your fondant into a long rope and form your letters out of that.

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 3:10am
post #3 of 7

I'm not sure....I think you could write on the fondant stars with BC though. I'd probably do a royal blue on red stars, seems to go together. As for the border, I'd probably alternate...maybe red and blue, with the cake iced in white BC?

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 3:11am
post #4 of 7

what about writing on the stars with buttercream in white? If the background is white, then border in red. I think that'll look good.

Momof3boys Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 3:15am
post #5 of 7

I was thinking of doing the letters in bc but my handwriting in icing is awful. I may still try it though since it would only be one letter at a time and I can do it over and over again. icon_wink.gif Thanks for your suggestions!!

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 3:32am
post #6 of 7

You could use the fondant letter cutters to write Happy Birthday on the stars. My writing isn't very good either and I LOVE those cutters. I think that white letters on the red stars would look really good. If you don't have the letter cutters there is a coupon for Hobby Lobby for 40% off an item. The cutters are $14.99 regular price....the coupon would make them $9.00 (is that right?)

Momof3boys Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 4:32am
post #7 of 7

Coolmom that's a great idea. I don't have the fondant cutters (or a Hobby Lobby) but my AC Moore is having a moonlight madness sale Sunday night and I do have a Michael's coupon. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%