Moving To Georgia......have Questions

Decorating By kchart Updated 11 Sep 2007 , 9:07pm by kchart

kchart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kchart Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:11am
post #1 of 23

hello all,
my husband was offered a wonderful job today with Firestone. We will be moving to the Atlanta area in December. What are the home bakery laws in Georgia? wasn't sure how to find them online. and also, does anyone know of a nice rental home for rent up to an hour outside of Atlanta? We were looking at the Marietta, Acworth area. We'll need to rent until our house sells here in Ohio. We have two dogs. Anyway, looking forward to moving to a new state. Thanks for the help.

Kasie

22 replies
tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:22am
post #2 of 23

Welcome to Georgia! I've lived here all my life- the last 20 years in the Atlanta area. I think you will love it. We live in Marietta, and lived in Kennesaw until recently. We have a rental house-- occupied until the end of January, and they may elect to renew their lease, but the neighborhood it is in has many rentals. I think most are 3Br/2Ba-- around 1000 square feet, I think-- is that the size you would need? More space? Less?

I don't know about home baking rules, but there is a post or page or article on here with links to all the states' sites that regulate such things. Try "articles".

Cake Art in Stone Mountain is rather a drive, but is the best place for supplies. Michael's, Hobby Lobby, and JoAnn's are as they are everywhere-- we just have lots of locations in fairly easy reach.

Where in Atlanta will your husband be working? I am also a teacher, and if you want input on schools, let me know. Cobb County (where Marietta and Acworth are) is a good system.

Again, welcome to the area.

Melonie1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melonie1005 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:27am
post #3 of 23

Hi, I live in Acworth. We have lived here for a year now. I wish I could help you out more with the laws, but I have asked the question before myself and got no response. Hope someone can help you. I just wanted to say Welcome and have a safe move.
Melonie

kchart Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:32am
post #4 of 23

thanks so much! Well, his territory is based around Atlanta, he'll work from home but will be doing a lot of driving to job sites. Firestone sells some sort of commercial roofing, he'll have to inspect jobs and sort of be a liason between the customer and Firestone. I have an uncle in Acworth, which is really the only area i'm familiar with. but it's very nice.
Well, space wise we aren't really that picky. The two dogs are an issue and i'd like something with a yard. We currently have a three yr old and another one due next month. We considered an apartment but with the dogs i'm a little concerned about dragging them out to the bathroom w/two kids in tow all day!
we have heard that Cobb county was a good place to be so that's really what we are looking for. I just hope we can find a place nice to live and in a nice neighborhood.

kchart Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 1:21am
post #5 of 23

anybody else out there? icon_smile.gif

spring55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spring55 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:05am
post #6 of 23

Bakeries in GA, both home bakeries and retail are inspected by the GA dept. of Agriculture. If you are interested in becoming a licensed home based business, give them a call and they will send you a booklet with the details.

Welcome to GA!

Minette

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:18am
post #7 of 23

Just had another thought about how to find housing-- our renters found our house through Craig's List, I think. I know they list stuff. It's craigslist.com, I think and then you can pick your city and your category.

kchart Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:22am
post #8 of 23

thanks for the help

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:16am
post #9 of 23

Hi, KChart - welcome to Georgia! What coincidences - we moved here from Ohio about 5 years ago, and we were both teachers (30 years' worth!) We live in Dacula, in Gwinnett County on the northeastern side of Atlanta. It's just a fabulous place - good schools, wonderful people, reasonable housing, close to everything - we really love living here. My favorite cake shop is Sugar Kneads in Loganville, but the Cake Arts International in Decatur is also lovely. Please let us know how the move is going and how we can help! PAT (oh, where are you in Ohio???) icon_biggrin.gif

cheflish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheflish Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:26am
post #10 of 23

Welcome to Georgia!
The Department of Agriculture folks are REALLY helpful!

Good luck!
Lish

kchart Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 1:08pm
post #11 of 23

hi shebaben,
i now live in a little town called belmont. it's not far from wheeling west virginia. lived in akron for a few years before moving here (this is where i grew up). where in ohio where you?
i'm looking forward to the move, but i think i'll miss the snow! weird, never thought i'd say that!

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:16pm
post #12 of 23

Well, we weren't far away from one another! We grew up in Marietta, but lived in New Concord (a tiny village that is home to Muskingum College and formerly John Glenn) for 34 years. It's on 70, between Zanesville and Cambridge, about halfway between Columbus and Wheeling. We would often go to to the mall at St. Clairsville and occasionally Belden Village in Canton.
We've also trekked around Belmont County a lot, visiitng cemeteries, etc. for that's where my great-great-greats(?) lived in the late 1700 - early 1800's. Our son still asks, " Mom, dgon't you miss the snow??" and I think about 1/2 a second and say "Noope!" - the Georgia climate is great. PAT

kchart Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:53pm
post #13 of 23

LOL! well, i'm very familiar with the area that you lived, i was born in Zanesville and lived there for the first few years of life. My sister actually got married at the church at muskingum college (which was beautiful). well, i'm about 1 mile from st.clairsville and if you ask my husband he'd say that the mall is my second home.

well, i hope that i won't miss the snow either.

boyoboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boyoboy Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:14pm
post #14 of 23

my sister-in-law was baking out of her home ( in georgia) and someone in town ( another home baker) turned her in. the guy who came to the house told her if she was baking then she would need a seperate kitchen just for the cake busness. so , there was no way they could add on an addition right now . the guy has stopped back a couple of times. He threatened her with all kinds of fines if he found out that she was baking cakes from home. anyway , im not sure of any other details , just that she would need a 2nd kitchen. hope this helps.

kchart Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:21pm
post #15 of 23

bummer icon_sad.gif

boyoboy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boyoboy Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:45pm
post #16 of 23

my sister-in-law was baking out of her home ( in georgia) and someone in town ( another home baker) turned her in. the guy who came to the house told her if she was baking then she would need a seperate kitchen just for the cake busness. so , there was no way they could add on an addition right now . the guy has stopped back a couple of times. He threatened her with all kinds of fines if he found out that she was baking cakes from home. anyway , im not sure of any other details , just that she would need a 2nd kitchen. hope this helps.

kchart Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 6:15pm
post #17 of 23

well i guess after the move i'll have to put my cake making on hold since i won't be able to add on another kitchen to a rental house!

Melonie1005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melonie1005 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 6:22pm
post #18 of 23

I am lucky and rent my house from a wonderful older man and woman who are letting me use the new hugh storage building that is on the side of my house. The people before of had an office in it. And he is even helping me locate the ovens and such. In the AJC (newspaper) there are a few listings for homes with 2 kitchens,,however rent is like 2000.00.
Melonie

1gananny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1gananny Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:08pm
post #19 of 23

Welcome to Georgia!!!

I can't help you with any houses, I live about 3 hours from Atlanta. But I can tell you the law in Georgia are that you have to have a seperate kitchen. And rules/regulations to be inspected by the dept. of Ag. and you will have to check with your local zoning ordance. Where I live we do not have a zoning ordance for the county. I live about 9 miles from town so I just have to go by the dep. of Ag. rules.

If you call them they will send you all the information, and the one for my area is very friendly and helpful.
And yes they do have "cake police" as we call them, there have been a few busted in the last few months in and around my county.

I have the information they sent me, if you would like to email/pm me I would be glad to give you what I have.
Good luck with your transfer/moving, and Congrats on your new arrival next month.

You will be a busy woman the next few months. I feel for you. Having to pack and move and settle into a new state and house, and a new baby. And the holidays coming up also. My prayers are with you!

kchart Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 8:12pm
post #20 of 23

melonie,
thanks for the tip, i'll have to check out the local paper. 2000 is a bit much for us since we still have to pay the mortgage on our house up here. that really scares me, i want something nice but it has to be under 1000 a month in a nice neighborhood that accepts dogs.......good luck right???

thanks for the kind words 1gananny, i'm actually terrified of the whole packing, moving ect. not to mention that my husband may not make it to the birth of this baby! my stress level has hit an all time high!

CakesBySandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesBySandy Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 8:21pm
post #21 of 23

Welcome Y'all!!!

I live 20 miles east of Atlanta, Rockdale County to be exact. I was told that my county does not license home baking businesses at all. Not even if you have a separate kitchen. So check at your county courthouse too.

Hollyanna70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollyanna70 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 9:04pm
post #22 of 23

I live in Acworth, moved here about 4 1/2 years ago, from Southern Ohio. It's a nice place to live. Everything is easy to get to, and close by, 'cept for cake supply stores. I am still looking for one that's less than 30 minutes away.. heh

I have seen a few houses for rent around here, but I know when I moved here it was very difficult to find one that accepts dogs. I will ask my husband when he gets home if he knows of any places, or if he knows how I can find some, and I will pm you with information. If I'm able to get it. He's lived here a lot longer than I have, so he knows his way around more, and knows more people.

I can't speak for the school system. I believe the system itself is a good one, but I can't say the same for some of the teachers. I know my son hated it, and so did I. He was treated horribly. I won't get into it, though. It's a very long story.

I don't have any information on baking from home, sadly. I haven't looked into it yet, but I have noticed a few help wanted signs in bakeries near here. So, if nothing else, maybe you can just get a part time job at one of those, until you get settled and/or can open your own place, if home baking isn't an option. I do hope you're able to do your own thing, though. I know how important it is, especially when moving to a new city and starting over. I'm still trying to find my own thing.. hehe

Good luck! I hope you and your family will be very happy, and find what you're looking for. I'll be in touch, when I can find information for you.

Holly

kchart Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 9:07pm
post #23 of 23

thanks for you help holly! i appreciate it.

kasie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%