Meringue Powder

Decorating By missyv110 Updated 9 Nov 2006 , 10:00pm by missyv110

missyv110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyv110 Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all, just had class one of Wilton 1 (fun already!) and we need to get meringue powder. Is Wilton the only type available (Note, I am in Toronto, Canada)...just curious if there are any other options (Dream Whip is NOT meringue powder, correct?)

Thanks for all of your help/advice.

Maureen

6 replies
Stunning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stunning Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 7

Hi,
As far as I know, you can also purchase it at bulk barn. I don't believe whip cream is merangue powder, but it has that as an ingredient. Someone else may have a better answer for ya!
Michelle

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 9:45pm
post #3 of 7

I used to buy something at the grocery store...it's just like meringue powder ....sort of.......it's called "just whites" and it's a powdered egg white .......I used to use that before I knew what meringue powder was and I never had any problems. I found it at my regular grocery store in the baking aisle.

Stunning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stunning Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 7

Hi again,

Just as I finished answering your question, I noticed you can buy a tub of Meringue powder on this site. I am not sure if they will ship it to Canada or not? I am near you (K-W area) but I haven't looked into buying anything from here before.

Michelle

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 7

You are taking a Wilton class? If so you should be able to buy the MP there in the store. If taking it where there is none, honistly you don't really need it. It does help with keeping dark colors from bleeding on to your iced cakes. But I do make my icing with out it all the time. I am a WMI also.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyv110

Hi all, just had class one of Wilton 1 (fun already!) and we need to get . Is Wilton the only type available (Note, I am in Toronto, Canada)...just curious if there are any other options (Dream Whip is NOT , correct?)

Thanks for all of your help/advice.

Maureen

Meringue powder is powdered egg whites, with some additional ingredients, often including some flavorings. I buy the Americolor brand from CC, and have been happy with it.

Dream Whip is basically fake stabilized, sweetened whipped cream.

RP

missyv110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyv110 Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks so much, everyone, I really appreciate your replies.

I was a little aggravated; the craft store (Michaels) hosting the class had TWO Class 1 Kits, NO Meringue powder, NO disposable bags, grrrr, you would think they would be a little more organized.

On the upside, the instructor seems good, very approachable and friendly. And the classes were a deal (I thought)...Wilton1 (four weeks x 2 hrs) for $17.50 Canadian....

Thanks again, this is the best website ever.

Maureen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%