What Is 6X Powdered. Sugar

Decorating By vande3boys Updated 11 Sep 2007 , 3:48pm by Sarsi

vande3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vande3boys Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 12

What is 6X powdered sugar? And can you get it any where?
Thanks.

11 replies
ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 12

I found this info on it on the joy of baking website.

"Confectioners, powdered or icing sugar is granulated sugar that has been ground to a powder with cornstarch added to prevent lumping and crystallization. It comes in 4X, 6X and 10X but 10X is the one generally found in stores. 10X means that the granulated sugar has been processed ten times. Confectioners sugar is used in meringues, icings, confections, and some sweet pastry."

I've never really looked for it so I can't direct you to where you may find it.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 12

6X is coarser than 10X. Or 10X is finer thatn 6X. Anyway it's sometimes used by bakery manufacturers for glazes.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:33am
post #4 of 12

I just bought a big bag of it at a bulk food store near my home...I dont know if that will help you at all..but thought I'd let ya know! That's the only place I've seen it. I've found out you DONT want to use it in fondant...its too lumpy!! Yich!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 11:24am
post #5 of 12

I almost grabbed a big bag of it at my local GFS when I noticed that it was 6X. The price was right . . . but it's not the product I want.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 11:46am
post #6 of 12

I bought aq 50lb bag and boy was I sorry! i had to shift the entire stinking bag! It was sooo lumpy! Apparently it is more often used in bakeries, but I don't think i will use it.

Julia

Sarsi Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 12

yup, me too. I whole stinky 50lb bag. My hands are going to hate me for all the sifting I'm going to have to be doing!!!

southaustingirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southaustingirl Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:21pm
post #8 of 12

thanks for the info. I have never paid any attention to the 'grade'. But I sift my powdered sugar anyway (except for buttercream icing).

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsi

yup, me too. I whole stinky 50lb bag. My hands are going to hate me for all the sifting I'm going to have to be doing!!!

Me three, but I only got 25lbs. I did make some fondant with it, and it was fine.

vrmcc1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vrmcc1 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:45pm
post #10 of 12

6X sugar is what we used for powdered donuts. It is thicker and sticks to the donuts better.

Val

ladyhawk1nlm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyhawk1nlm Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 12

lol, I did the samething grabed the 50 lb bag, but at the time my kids were 10,and 12,16...so guess who got to helped sift the sugar.....

Sarsi Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 3:48pm
post #12 of 12

actually, now that I think about it...I used it in MMF, I tried using it the day I made it and that had a lot of little chunks of powdered sugar in it. I let it sit for a day and tried it again and it was a lot better, but still ended up picking out larger chunks as I kneeded...I'm going to have to buy a better sifter!!Good excuse! I've been wanting one for a long time! he he he

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%