Help If You Can Please :)

Decorating By OhMyGoodies Updated 10 Nov 2006 , 12:13am by OhMyGoodies

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 13

Ok my husband of 10 years recently found out (about a year ago) that he is allergic to Cream Cheese. But he LOVES Cheesecake. This has proven a huge problem to the extent that I can not buy even a cheesecake slice or refridgerated bars from the grocery store let alone make one for someone lol.

Alot of family and friends LOVE Cream Cheese icing and hubby loves carrot cake. Every time I see a carrot cake recipe it calls for CCIcing.

Any ideas on an alternate way to make Cheesecake without the cream cheese? Or a great tasting icing for a Carrot Cake?

TIA!!! ouch.gif

12 replies
starrchaser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starrchaser Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 13

I think you can get a cream cheese flavoring but i;m not sure where. You can also get cheesecake flavored pudding. I have a recepie for no bake cheesecake that uses pudding. I will find it and try to PM you if I do.(its been a while)

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 13

What's he allergic to in cream cheese...do you know? I'm assuming it's a dairy allergy? Anyway, they make a vegan product called Tofutti Cream Cheese, not sure where it's available, but it's supposed to be a good subsititute for the real thing. I can't vouch for flavor but from what I've read, the texture is the same. You may want to try that for both the cheesecake and frosting.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 13

Is there a cheesecake flavored Lorann oil?

OhMyGoodies Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 13

We are not sure what part he is allergic to. The dairy part would be milk cheese product right? lol sorry blonde moment... he can drink milk and eat cheese with no problems. We tried to figure out what part it was by the ingredients but I can't remember what he said he thinks it is.... I'm also not sure why he's allergic to it all of a sudden because he could eat it before. It's just last year he was eating a bagel with cream cheese on it broke out in hives throat got tight tongue started swelling headed to the ER bagel in hand and finished it on the way lmao. Once there they took him back immediately and he ended up passing out after they gave him three shots, 2 ephinephidrine (sp) and 1 benadryl and woke up 3 hours later feeling great lol. They gave him an epi-pen and said they hoped he didn't have this reaction again because it can kill him it's so bad... So... we don't know what part he is allergic to icon_sad.gif

Thanks again for your help I'm thinking he's just SOL on this one.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 10:27pm
post #6 of 13

did they test that it actually was the cream cheese and not something in/on the bagel?

Vmoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vmoore Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 13

I think Duncan Hines makes a Cream Cheese flavored frosting. Knowing the usual ingredients for canned frosting, I would suspect there ain't an ounce of REAL cream cheese in there! That might do for a substitute icing for carrot cake.
Good luck icon_wink.gif

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 10:56pm
post #8 of 13

Uuummm....what about a all butter buttercream on carrot cake? That might taste okay. I do equal parts of butter to powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk until I get the right consistency.

angelak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelak Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 11:00pm
post #9 of 13

NEWTODECORATING
Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:15 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, there is! icon_biggrin.gif

Some recipes call for ricotta cheese in cheesecake. Is that a possiblity to use?

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 13

I use a cheescake pudding in a white cake mix and it tastes just like cheescake. Then maybe you could use the loran oil cream cheese flavoring in BC icing.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 11:19pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelak

NEWTODECORATING
Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:15 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, there is! icon_biggrin.gif

Some recipes call for ricotta cheese in cheesecake. Is that a possiblity to use?

You read my mind Angela!!
Also, if you can make cheesecake with ricotta, what about adding it to icing? Or what about Tofutti?? that tastes a lot like cream cheese, hmmmm
me likey icon_lol.gif
Nati

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 13

I have cheesecake flavored Lorann Oil and used it in BC before. That might work well!

OhMyGoodies Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 12:13am
post #13 of 13

Thanks so much gang you are a bunch of wonderful people!! icon_biggrin.gif

I'm going to attempt to find the Lorann Oil and will try that. He'd be so happy icon_wink.gif Thanks everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%