Silly Question

Decorating By sgirvan Updated 4 Feb 2005 , 6:02am by sgirvan

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 2 Feb 2005 , 6:21am
post #1 of 4

Ok, now this one is veru silly to ask but here I go....... Whe a recipe calls for a double layer cake, do you make 2 cakes and ice them in the middle and stack? What is the difference between that and cooking the cake and cutting it in half and then filling the middle? I am just a little confused, thanks for the help

3 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 2 Feb 2005 , 11:48am
post #2 of 4

Yes a double layer cake is two cake pans baked and then two cakes placed on top of each other..... Which if your baking in a 2 inch pan your going to have a 4 inch cake... NOW you can take one pan and make your cake and then cut that one cake in half and fill that also which is fine there is lots of people that do it both ways... I guess its going to depend on what your making the cake for and how many your going to need to serve...

BTW there is never a silly question if you dont know you dont know but remember how many others may not know and were afraid to post cause it was going to be a silly question? You have helped yourself and others at the same time... If you dont know ask your to learn something new every day. I dont care what lever of a cake decorator you are there is something new to learn daily..


GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 3 Feb 2005 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 4

It's splitting hairs, but icing between the full layers is called filling a cake. Cutting a single layer into 2 and placing icing or filling between those pieces is called torting or to Torte a cake (Italian term).

Hey, I don't make this silly stuff folks.

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 4 Feb 2005 , 6:02am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the information, I am a newbie so I am still learning the cake decorating language. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%