Diabetic

Decorating By CHRIS0531 Updated 12 Sep 2013 , 11:01am by Embles

CHRIS0531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CHRIS0531 Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 20

hI
My dad just found out he has diabetes but he loves cake any ideas on what to use in order for him to still enjoy them?

19 replies
homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 20

I've just purchased sugar substitute from Steel's Gourmet Foods. They have "sugar" and "powdered sugar" that is used cup for cup in place of sugar.

Here is the link: http://www.steelsgourmet.com/products.html?cat=16963.

I hope this helps.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 10:29pm
post #3 of 20

Which of their products would you/have you use(d) in a cake? icon_smile.gif

okred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okred Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 20

My family also has to watch their sugar. I make the diabetic icing listed in the recipe section which calls for sugar free pudding, cream cheese and cream. I also make cake using apples and applesauce with splenda. The problem is that there are different restrictions on diets. Both of these recipes still contain a lot of carbs which affect blood sugar and some diabetics can't have them.

By the way this diabetic icing pipes well but doesn't take color as well as decorator icing.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

FunCakesVT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FunCakesVT Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 20

Just thought I would share the latest coming from the researchers - for everyone, diabetics included, sugar substitutes cause the body to react exactly the same way as sugar does. The advice, therefore is awareness, portion control and moderation using real ingredients.

wendysue Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 4:45pm
post #6 of 20

I've had people disagree with me here, but you do have to be careful when making a cake for a diabetic. I'm glad someone has mentioned that here. There are some who can't have any sugar at all... I've never been able to find a cake recipe for a diabetic that did not have sugar. Not saying they don't exist, but I've never found one.

Also, I've learned through research that you can't even make a sugar free cake. The substitutes don't have the same structure as sugar and don't bake right. I don't know anything about the products on this website, but it's a good point that substitutes and products high in carbs are still likely to effect blood sugar.

Just be careful if you make a product and promote it as a diabetic cake or desert. Be sure to tell your customers what the ingredients are.

icon_smile.gif

scott123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scott123 Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 6:20am
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunCakesVT

Just thought I would share the latest coming from the researchers - for everyone, diabetics included, sugar substitutes cause the body to react exactly the same way as sugar does.

Coming from the researchers?! Which researchers?!

The last time I checked, the glycemic index was a viable method for ascertaining the effect of sugar substitututes on diabetics. Sugar substitutes have less glycemic impact than sugar, across the board. How can an ingredient be lower GI AND 'react the same way as sugar does?' Plain and simple- it can't.

scott123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scott123 Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 6:46am
post #8 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysue

Also, I've learned through research that you can't even make a sugar free cake. The substitutes don't have the same structure as sugar and don't bake right. I don't know anything about the products on this website, but it's a good point that substitutes and products high in carbs are still likely to effect blood sugar.

You're right- you've had people disagree with you here. And 'we' still do. Just because you couldn't find a viable alternative to sugar in cakes doesn't mean one doesn't exist. You just didn't look hard enough.

It's not like we're debating the existence of UFOs here. Every day, thousands of people, myself included, are baking with ingredients that provide both the taste/sweetness AND the textural qualities of sugar. For instance, earlier in this thread Homemaluhia mentions maltitol. Maltitol is a perfectly viable option for diabetics wishing to control their blood sugar but who still wish to produce cakes that have the right texture/structural integrity/moistness. One of many.

There's more at stake than me being right and you being wrong. There's diabetics, who, upon reading your posts, may decide to stay clear of cake because they're under the misconception that a decent cake can't be produced without sugar. That would be a huge tragedy. If you want to deprive yourself/your clients of phenomenal sugar free cakes, be my guest, but the members of this forum deserved a more informed/better researched opinion.

Splenda will not provide the necessary texture to cake. That's a rock solid fact that I'm sure we both agree upon. You have to look beyond splenda, though- that's where the caking baking magic lies.

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 1:29pm
post #9 of 20

Hi and welmcome to CC!

I have a recipe from Splenda for yellow cake. Can he have Splenda? My husband is also diabetic so I'm rounding up recipes from Splenda to try. I have not tried the yellow cake recipe but if you like I can post the yellow cake recipe.

Naty

wendysue Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 11:05pm
post #10 of 20

Scott,

I feel kind of like I'm being attacked here. I come here as a friend, not to argue. If there is a substitute then I'm glad to know of it. I hadn't found one. I'll look into the product you've mentioned here.

Let's keep this a friendly place. I enjoy sharing knowledge with others and learning from others. If we know something that someone else does not, we should bring it here to share. If we know or believe someone to be wrong about something we should share that to, but in a friendly way.

This subject makes me a bit nervous because I see so many diabetic recipes online that call for sugar, I know there are a lot of us who don't know much about the condition, and I also know a lot of us bake cakes for others... so I'm just trying to spread a word of caution. Know your product before you sell it and your customers needs. This advice is for the general cake decorator... maybe not for you Scott, since you have found a substitute that works.

Anyway, let's just be careful how we talk to each other. I come here in peace!!! Really I do! icon_smile.gif

Wendy

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 11:22pm
post #11 of 20

I am really surprised!!!!! Guys, guys, aren't we all here to help each other?? Wendysue I totally agree with you...Scott, with all due respect to you, since I don't know you... the only thing I can say is we all don't know everything, if we did we would not be here asking questions!!!

Remember EVERYONE its the holiday season....lets all get along!!

PEACE to ALL.

Naty.

WendySue, hang in there....there are alot of us here that are willing to share and help you as well as each other.

Ladyofcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyofcake Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 11:34pm
post #12 of 20

I agree that this is a touchy subject and that there is a lot of confusing data out there. However, most of us are baking cakes for people for fun or as a business and that does not qualify us as nutritional experts.
I believe that while it is good to stay informed, ultimately we are not responsible for what people eat. We can advise what our ingredients are and offer alternatives to the best of our ability, some of which will still not work for some people depending upon their particular restrictions.
I have insulin resistance, had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant, and am now high risk for type 2 diabetes. Also there are a lot of people in our family who are diabetic. I know that cake is not the healthiest thing to eat, but I also know the limits of each of our family members and what I can make that will be within each person's restrictions (everyone is different) so that they don't feel deprived.
When you are diagnosed, you are given expert advice from your doctor and usually visit a nutritional expert to start a meal plan. Then it is up to you to do the research on the foods you eat and be responsible for maintaining your own health.
That said, everyone on this thread is right on their own points - yes there are good substitutes, some better than others; yes, the glycemic index is good tool; yes, carbs are JUST as important in managing diabetes as sugar because they have the same effect and; yes, there is new research to suggest that substitutes are not as good as previously thought. But it is still up to the person who has been diagnosed to be responsible enough for their own health to make clear what their restrictions are and to be careful what they are eating. My personal opinion? The best diet is to eat food that is as natural as possible. There will always be a new study somewhere to reverse the present thinking. Mother Nature knows best.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 11:34pm
post #13 of 20

Let's remember: WE CAN ALL AGREE TO DISAGREE AND IT'S OKAY!!!!!!

Let's keep this a user-friendly website.

Here are some previous threads:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-50396-diabetic.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-50130-diabetic.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-48317-diabetic.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-49642-diabetic.html

And let's all please remember that we if we can all agree to disagree this can remain a user friendly site.

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 11:43pm
post #14 of 20

Okay...can't help but to add my opinion here. I think that no matter what recipe and ingredients are used, a complete recipe/ingredient list and number of servings should be provided to any customer with any special dietary needs. It is up to the customer to determine what is safe or not safe for them medically. No cake baker should EVER sell something that is marketed as "diabetic-safe" so as to avoid any liability. We are not chemists nor doctors. If we provide 100% information to the customer, then they can make an informed decision on whether or not to eat the cake and if they eat it, how much of it is safe for their specific dietary issue.

Just my 2 cents!

wendysue Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 8:06pm
post #15 of 20

I just visited HyVee's Bakery this afternoon to buy a cake box and they are selling new sugar free cakes... the ingredient is maltitol. I will look into maltitol for curiousities sake, but probably won't buy the product.

It's funny that I'd not heard of this product at all and now I've heard of it and seen it within just days of one another.

Take it easy everyone! Happy baking!

FerretDeprived Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FerretDeprived Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 8:27pm
post #16 of 20

Stevia is a very sweet herb that I BELEIVE(there's practically nothing in it i can see that would affect diabeties) to be diabetic safe(no sugar, no fake sugar, no calories, no fat) I guess it'd be the same as using any other herb in things?

Many people use it in place of fake sugar in cakes and pastries. The only problem i've heard is trying to find something to make up for volume loss you get without the granual sugar(i can't think of anything on the top of my head ,but i know there are things you can use int he recipe to make up for volume if you need to).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

RachelGearon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelGearon Posted 13 May 2013 , 1:00am
post #17 of 20

AI just found this receipe online, I havnt tried it but it looks really good.!!

http://veenaartofcakes.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/diabetic-chocolate-cake-with-chocolate.html?m=1

Arnoldcombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Arnoldcombs Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 5:30am
post #18 of 20

My mother in law is diabetic but she loves to eat cake but due her diabetic condition was not able to make cake but thanks to this forum from where i got few tips on how to make sugar free cake.Will definitely try it out.

niniel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niniel1 Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 9:48am
post #19 of 20

I'm not keen on using diabetic chocolates or sweeteners like mannitol, generally because they end up having the same carbohydrate load as their real counterparts and high doses of artificial sweetener can cause diarrhoea. My daughter is a type 1 diabetic, when I bake for her I make a regular cake, she eats a small portion along with some slow releasing carbohydrate (so as part of a meal) and we inject enough insulin to cover it. I understand though that type 1 is very different to type 2 and that may not be an option for someone who is trying to manage their diabetes through diet alone. I would be careful though about how much artificial sweetener you used, last thing you want is to have people running to the bathroom after eating some cake! 

Embles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Embles Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 11:01am
post #20 of 20

A

Original message sent by niniel1

I'm not keen on using diabetic chocolates or sweeteners like mannitol, generally because they end up having the same carbohydrate load as their real counterparts and high doses of artificial sweetener can cause diarrhoea. My daughter is a type 1 diabetic, when I bake for her I make a regular cake, she eats a small portion along with some slow releasing carbohydrate (so as part of a meal) and we inject enough insulin to cover it. I understand though that type 1 is very different to type 2 and that may not be an option for someone who is trying to manage their diabetes through diet alone. I would be careful though about how much artificial sweetener you used, last thing you want is to have people running to the bathroom after eating some cake! 

This!!! My husband has type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed at 15 yrs old, I agree that diabetic choc etc can have a laxative effect, my hubby now avoids anything like this. We do the same a niniel1, if my husband wants to scoff sone cake then he will, he will manage his levels with insulin and balanced meals. Sometimes its nice to have a naughty treat and tge diabetic stuff some how takes the naughty out of it. I do think its brilliant that cake makers work so hard to find substitutes though, fantastic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%