Help! Cowboy Hat Cake

Decorating By Temptations Updated 13 Sep 2007 , 8:52pm by Temptations

Temptations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Temptations Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 8

Has anyone done one of the cowboy hat cakes that we have the tutorial for? Is it pretty easy? Did you run into any problems? I'm going to do mine in white and then decorate the hat band with ribbon roses. I don't have a cowboy hat to use for the shape of the brim so I'm going to try to prop up the edges. I need this cake for Thursday. Should I make the brim today to allow enough time to dry? Can I make the ribbon roses today too? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance for your help.

7 replies
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 8

I have not made the cake but I would say yes, go ahead and make the brim and roses.

gingersoave Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingersoave Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 8

I made one from the tutorial, check out my photos. Definitely do the brim and roses now to let it dry. I put a rolled up towel and then propped it up with another towel for the brim. Mine wasnt that great but I was happy with it and will definitely do it again! It was pretty easy to do, just drying time took the longest.

please post when you finish it!!

ginger

Leigh01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leigh01 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 8:06am
post #4 of 8

I also used the tutorial and found is so easy and a lot of fun to do. I agree that you need to do the brim and roses now in order to give them time to dry. Look forward to seeing your finished cake icon_smile.gif

Temptations Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 10:53pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks everyone. I did go ahead and make the brim first thing this morning. I'm just crossing my fingers that it's dry enough to flip on Thursday morning. That would be a full 48 hours. I made it 1/4 " thick to make it stable. Any ideas how to make it dry faster now that I've got it rolled out and sitting on the hat?

Temptations Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 8

What a nightmare! The brim isn't even close to being dry! I flipped it and it went flat! I have put it back on the hat form and set in front of a fan in hopes that it will dry by tomorrow morning. The lady I'm making it for doesn't need it until tomorrow afternoon. Thanksfully. If she needed it today I'd be in big trouble. Any ideas what I do if it's still not ready tomorrow?

Daisy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisy1 Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 8

Sometimes when I need gumpaste to dry faster, I dust it with cornstarch and it seems to pull out the moisture.

Temptations Posted 13 Sep 2007 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks for the advice. I'll remember that one, but I've got a fan blowing on it and I'm afraid it would blow the cornstarch all over. I brought in the dehumidifier to sit next to it and turned my a/c back on. I had shut it off because we've been a lot cooler here the last few days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%