What Kind Of Gloves Do You Wear When Modeling Fondant?

Decorating By Evone Updated 12 Sep 2007 , 3:40pm by Lemonydoodles

Evone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evone Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:02pm
post #1 of 7

I used to work out of my house and mostly for family and friends and never wore gloves when I was modeling sugar paste. Oh don't wrinkle your noses in disgust, I washed my hands all the time. I have tried various gloves but wow they are so hard to work in, especially when I am trying to make a head of someone. So my question to you is what brand do you all find the best to work with. Thanks in advance to everyone. Cake Central Rocks.

6 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 7

I wear a vinal food service glove, the key is having the glove in the right size (i'm not talking about those cheap gloves that cove in the envelope type package, that don't seem to fit anyone) The ones i use are very similar to what you find in the hospital. I wear a size small, most of the women i work with wear a meduim. I like the no powder kind. I find the ones with the powder tend to dry my hands out more.

jules06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules06 Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 1:39am
post #3 of 7

I don't wear gloves........ icon_eek.gificon_lol.gif

Never have, never will.....I frequently wash my hands tho'

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:27pm
post #4 of 7

I don't wear gloves either....seems like it would be so difficult to work with.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:09pm
post #5 of 7

I only wear the vinyl foodservice gloves when kneading fondant, making cake balls, or other 'large motor' tasks. For detail work, such as figure modeling or even cutting and placing fondant accents, no gloves. I do keep my nails trimmed very short and, of course, wash frequently. I think I'm down to 5 layers of skin on my hands. icon_wink.gif

Evone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evone Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 12:25pm
post #6 of 7

Do you all have cake shops? Does the health department frown on not wearing gloves? I hate wearing gloves and have never found any that work for me when doing fine work. This is a tough one... Thanks everyone for the info icon_smile.gif

Lemonydoodles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemonydoodles Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 7

no gloves here either...I think they would be awkward on me.....as I can never find any that fit like "second skin".....I do wash my hands regularly while messing around in the kitchen any time. I do not have a cake shop, just little me & my own kitchen. I have yet to make a cake for anyone outside my family as well icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%