Satin Icing Recipe From This Site

Decorating By patriciav Updated 25 Jul 2005 , 2:49am by patriciav

patriciav Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patriciav Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 5

I tried making the Satin Icing recipe from this site last night but it didn't work for me. I followed the directions exactly and the dough turned out real nice. I wrapped it in clig wrap as directed and went to bed. This morning I tried working with and it cracked a lot. I couldn't get a nice smooth piece to put on my cake. I tried putting the dough in the microwave for a few seconds to warm it up, as I thought this would help with the cracking, but still no luck. I was able to roll the dough smooth but it fell apart when I picked it up. I'm not sure what I did wrong. Can anyone help me out? Has anyone else tried this recipe? If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I would like to try it again because the dough had a nice taste, a nice alternative to real fondant.

Thank you so much in advance!!!!

4 replies
nernan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nernan Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 5

Hi Patriciav, i posted the recipe but i havent tried it.
I had a look in the book and it doesnt say anything about cracking. Sounds to me like it needs a bit more moisture. Did you add all the icing sugar(confectioners sugar), it says add enough to make a soft dough. Maybe add a bit of water then knead again, not too much though. Glad it tasted ok.
Narelle

patriciav Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 12:09am
post #3 of 5

Thank you Narelle so much for taking the time to look in your book for me. The recipe asked for 4 1/2 cups of icing sugar (approx), but I used all 4 1/2 cups. I'll give it a another try with your suggestions.

Thank you again!!!

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 12:18am
post #4 of 5

I know when making MMf that it helps to add the sugar a little at a time, not at once. I mix about half in then mix it little by little until the consistency is right. Sometimes it doesn't take all the sugar it calls for. Maybe it's the same with this. Just a thought!

patriciav Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 2:49am
post #5 of 5

OK, I'll try that next time. Thanks for your reply. If you like, I'll let you guys know how it goes. But I think I'm going to try MMF next though.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%