Tips On Covering Topsy-Turvy Cakes In Fondant?

Decorating By LaSombra Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 4:22pm by tonedna

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:49am
post #1 of 4

I did a topsy-turvy cake this weekend (in gallry) and you know how the bottom of the cake is supposed to be smaller than the top... well, when you try smoothing the fondant down, it makes pleats down at the bottom even more than straight-sided cakes. Anyone have any ideas of an easier way to do this? I usually have a little more trouble on smaller cakes than bigger cakes with covering with fondant anyway because of trying to ease the fondant on.

Anyway, tips on how you get this fondant on would be really helpful if you've got any thumbs_up.gif

3 replies
Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:43pm
post #2 of 4

I asked this very question not long ago! Here is my post:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-497533-.html

I am working on my second one this week. For me, the smaller sized one worked better than the larger tier to get the bottom fondant smooth. I just plan on taking my time and stretching each pleat down.

After this next topsy-turvy, I am going to try and do one with SMBC and not fondant. I would do it for this one, but I want to do some luster dust painting on it.

Good luck! Let me know if you find something that works!

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 4

thanks for the lead. At least there was one helpful reply in there...

I too thought about maybe turning the thing over. I guess great minds think alike. Well, I suppose that wouldn't work for the top tier though cause it doesn't get the hole in it. I'm thinking of making a big coffee cup for someone I work with and so it will be smaller on the bottom than on the top and was thinking to maybe do this for her cake. I might use the barbie doll cake pan but with the smaller side down and then make a handle and attach. I was wanting to just make the fondant cover the sides and not the top, just make them come up a little to make a lip of the cup and then fill in the top with ganache. mmm icon_smile.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:22pm
post #4 of 4

I JUST PULL MY FONDANT A LITTLE TO STRETCH...I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT!...ALTHOUGH IS MORE DIFFICULT THAN YOUR REGULAR CAKE..
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%