Another Crazy Bride

Baking By divaricks Updated 11 Sep 2007 , 4:19am by melysa

divaricks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaricks Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:01am
post #1 of 4

So I had a wedding cake tasting this past Thursday and I served them 2 flavors as they are looking for a brides and groom's cake. The groom wanted a death by chocolate experience so I made a chocolate truffle cake with a ganache filling and a chcolate buttercream icing. They loved it. For the wedding cake I did White orange sour cream cake with a raspberry filling and BC. They loved that too. They said they were set on those flavors. That night I get an email from the bride saying she wants another tasting - even though she knows she has to pay $25 for an additional tasting. She said that her sister doesn't care for raspberry so she wants to try a filling with a spicy kick to it and specifically requested something with ginger and cuarenta y tres liquor (which I have never heard of). How in the world do I make a filling like this? I was thinking I could add the liquor and ginger to buttercream? Is there another way you could suggest I do this? ARGH! And also, do I use fresh ginger, the ginger spice does a ginger extract exist? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 4:05am
post #2 of 4

I can't help with how to get these flavors into a filling, but I would let the bride know that since this is a special request filling that is not a regular option that there will be an additional fee (I would figure what your cost will be for the filling and charge them for all of the ingredients... for the liquor if you only use 2 T but have to buy a bottle, they pay for the whole bottle) This may help to change their minds on another tasting...

tara1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tara1970 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:49pm
post #3 of 4

This probally wont help you all that much but it will give you some back ground info on it....

Licor Cuarenta y Tres

"Licor Cuarenta y Tres" is a bright yellow Spanish liqueur that is sweet and flavoured with citrus and vanilla. It professes to be made from a combination of 43 ingredients, including citrus and fruit juices, herbs, spices and vanilla. The name comes from the number of ingredients said to be used.

The liqueur is 31% alcohol, 62 proof.

The company is currently owned (2004) by Diego Zamora S.A, Av. de Columbus, 146, Cartagena (MURCIA), Spain.

Here is a link where you can buy it...But it isnt cheap but not to bad but hmm i would charge more if you have special order it.

http://www.garnetwine.com/sku005512.html

Hope this helps,
Tara

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:19am
post #4 of 4

divaricks....mmmmm that sounds like a delicious request!

i would suggest two things...open up the phone book and look for a store that sells spirits (hard liqueurs other than beer or wine). you are more likely to find a local store that you can get a smaller bottle for a fraction of the price that you can online. i recently had to look for amaretto. i looked online and could only find the large bottle for $50. well, locally, i found smaller pint size bottles for $9. that was nice to be able to buy something smaller for the tasting.

second thing i would suggest is to make a swiss or italian meringue buttercream and to mix in the liqueur and dry ground ginger powder for the flavorings. the ginger is going to add intense flavor, so in testing it out, start with less and work your way up to what tastes good a bit at a time.

my favorite smbc recipe is by elisa strauss. pm me if you'd like it. its the best out of several that i've tried. its also very very stable, and unlike traditional american buttercream, i can handle using this as a filling without feeling like i am skimping and cheating the customer of a wonderful taste experience. it doesnt feel common or average, especially when you work in interesting spices, liqueurs and extracts.

like the previous poster also mentioned, be sure to add the cost of the bottle of liqueur on top of the 25 fee because you cant buy just a few tb's at a time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%