Help Need Instructions For Fire Truck Cake

Decorating By GMC Updated 12 Nov 2006 , 10:48pm by GMC

GMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GMC Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 4:35am
post #1 of 8

I've been asked to make a 3D Fire truck cake with alot of details for this Sunday. I've seen the pictures and all are wonderful, but I really would like help on How to make it. What size pan, it needs to feed about 20 people. I appreciate any help one could give. Thanks

7 replies
knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 4:49am
post #2 of 8

You could take a look at the dump truck cake in my gallery.

I'd be glad to pm you the instructions for that.

For a firetruck cake, I'd bake two 13x9's. Cut on in half lenthwise, and stack that (frost between the halves, of course.)

Freeze it. Then cut your "cab" out of another 13x9. Use doughnuts/oreos for the "wheels", etc.

Using your pic of choice, frost accordingly.

HTH,
--Knox--

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 8

When I did mine (its in my pics)- I used 2 - 1/2 sheet cake pans, then carved it from there. There are some instructions on coolestkidscakes.com (I think thats the site) - or try to Google it, thats where I found mine inspiration cakes. Good luck!!

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 9:43pm
post #4 of 8

I made one a while back and I'll just quickly summarize the directions:
~1 13x9" cake
~Cut the cake in half so that you have two 4 1/2" by 13" pieces.
~Cut four inches off of one of the halves making it a 4 1/2"x9" piece
~Angle the front of the smaller piece slightly to be the windshield
~Frost the windshield area with white and the rest of the cake red
~Use black licorice to create bumpers and ladders on the top of each side
~Use licorice rope to resemble a fire hose

I will try to take a picture of the one I made, but it will be taking a picture of a picture since I don't have a scanner...we'll see if it works!

coolmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coolmom Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 8

http://www.shutterfly.com/jsp/proceserv.jsp?uid=8AaMmrRm3bOV&rostate=67b0de21a41a008c1500&co=-1&js=1163109412656&ps=1&rs=6
Okay, there's the best picture I could get of the cake....don't laugh....it was before I started decorating cakes really...it will give you an idea anyway.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 12:25am
post #6 of 8

I used 12x18 pans, and stacked it. Then I used fondant for the tires, windows, etc. I think the neatest part is something I learned from someone here (cake mommy I think). Cover the based board. Then cut a few small boards to fit just under the cake. Then glue the smaller board to the big one. Then place your cake on the smaller board, and then attach the tires. It makes the truck looke like a real truck...elevated.

My cake is in my photos..

Hope that helps,
Julia

Good Luck

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 12:34am
post #7 of 8

hey what a fun cake to make!!! The one in my gallery is one I did for an auction to help pay for a new one. It did pretty well. If you want to do something like it, pm me and I'll send you directions. Have fun with it and good luck.
Amy

GMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GMC Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 8

Woo Hoo, with everyone's advice and pictures, I did it, I make the Fire truck cake and I was pretty impressed, learned alot of stuff, but still impressed. I also made a little fire hydrant where I hooked up a hose to it and had a hose on the other side that looked like the water was pouring out from. I wished the buttercream looked smoother, but I guess that comes with experience. My nephew saw every detail, from the tiny windshield wipers to the little door handles and brake lights. The water that looked like it was leaking from the connection.

Thanks to all of you for being so kind and taking the time to gave me instructions, and wonderful tips !!

Wish I had a picture to show you, maybe soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%