I've Tried And Tried And Tried....

Decorating By FFC Updated 16 Nov 2006 , 7:09pm by FFC

FFC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FFC Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 21

How on earth do you make black icing and have it stay black? I've tried several different icing colorings and still can't get black. Even when I go to the store and get the icing in the tubes that's labelled as black, it's always a blue/purple. I can't even figure out how to do gray. Please help!!!

Thanks in advance

20 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 21

I use Americolor and it will get very dark black ... you have to use quite a bit of the black to achieve the color .. it's always best to make your buttercream icing and tint it a day or two ahead of time ... the longer it has to sit, the darker it will get.

cakesbykellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbykellie Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 10:45pm
post #3 of 21

i usually start with a chcolate frosting and then add Americolor black.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 21

I also turn my white icing chocolate by adding cocoa powder. Then I add black (having used both Americolor & Wilton's black). The longer it sits the darker it gets.

FFC Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 11:05pm
post #5 of 21

Thanks a million. How much cocoa powder do you use? Do you substitute it or just add it? I appreciate ya'll's input!!

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 21

I just kind of eyeball it. It normally doesn't change the consistency of my icing, probably being offset by the Americolor black (liquid). If it does, just add a few drops of water or milk to get it back to the consistency you want.

HTH

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 7:45pm
post #7 of 21

I've been able to achieve black with Wilton icing, but it took A LOT!! So much that it somewhat changed the consistency of the icing. Also, it looked kind of "speckled" for lack of a better description... like there were gritty chunks in it that were darker black than the rest. Not sure why, maybe my sugar caused that?

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 8:25pm
post #8 of 21

I have gotten soo mad at red and black icing. I always seem to need it in a hurry and don't have time to wait a day or two for it to turn a dark color. icon_lol.gif (doesn't help that I am a procrastinatior either) icon_lol.gif

Here is my solution....I made a whole turn of red and a whole turn of black icing. Waited my day or so to get the color I wanted and I put it into several 2 cup freezer containers and froze the stuff with a label for the date and color! Now when I need it I just set out the amount I need out on the counter when I go to mix the cake, another stir or two and I am ready to go!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 21

You have to start with chocolate icing so the consistency will not change.

FFC Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 11:30pm
post #10 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

I have gotten soo mad at red and black icing. I always seem to need it in a hurry and don't have time to wait a day or two for it to turn a dark color. icon_lol.gif (doesn't help that I am a procrastinatior either) icon_lol.gif

Here is my solution....I made a whole turn of red and a whole turn of black icing. Waited my day or so to get the color I wanted and I put it into several 2 cup freezer containers and froze the stuff with a label for the date and color! Now when I need it I just set out the amount I need out on the counter when I go to mix the cake, another stir or two and I am ready to go!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

So freezing the icing will not change the consistency or performance?

countrygal7782 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygal7782 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 10:06am
post #11 of 21

FFC,
I freeze icing all the time and it works great. Any time I have left over colors that would make pretty roses or other flowers, I just make them up and let them sit long enough to crust and then layer them in plastic airtight containers and freeze them. This has really come in handy when I have a last minute cake and need roses or something. Just pop them out of the freezer and let them set for a bit to come to about room temp and right to the cake they go.

Even if you dont make flowers with left over icing, just put it in an air tight container and in the freezer. Works great as long as it dosent get ice crystals on it.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 21

I do it all the time with no problems icon_lol.gif

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 2:34pm
post #13 of 21

I usually do not need a lot of black when I use it, so I buy the sm. can of Wilton chocolate icing & add blcak color gel to it. I haven't had any problems with it yet.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 21

I usually do not need a lot of black when I use it, so I buy the sm. can of Wilton chocolate icing & add blcak color gel to it. I haven't had any problems with it yet.

FFC Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 9:38pm
post #15 of 21

Thanks! Never even crossed my mind to freeze it. How bout red... same thing as black I'm assuming? And white icon_biggrin.gif I can't seem to make white white if my life depended on it. I made my mom's wedding cake with different shades of off white LOL... I even used that white white additive and it still didn't work.

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 9:45pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFC

Thanks! Never even crossed my mind to freeze it. How bout red... same thing as black I'm assuming? And white icon_biggrin.gif I can't seem to make white white if my life depended on it. I made my mom's wedding cake with different shades of off white LOL... I even used that white white additive and it still didn't work.

If you're using butter, you're never going to get "pristine white". The only way I've found to get it that white is to use all white shortening, no butter, OR a completely meringue icing, with no butter in it, either. Both, in my opinion, unsatisfactory for a delicious cake. But it depends on your taste buds and your Clients. If they're footin' the bill and they want it one way, you make it that way. Customer's Always Right (well, usually icon_razz.gif ...)

Odessa

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 9:59pm
post #17 of 21

Americolor's black is AWESOME!! I had to make black royal icing for some cookies and a cake and didn't have to use much color at all to get it very black. AND for the first time, I didn't have to let it sit and allow the color to deepen.

FFC Posted 10 Nov 2006 , 10:12pm
post #18 of 21

I don't use butter. I use the icing that I learned in the Wilton class with a lot of shortening and sugar and a little merengue powder. I don't like it much, so I'll be hunting for another recipe shortly.

countrygal7782 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrygal7782 Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 6:24am
post #19 of 21

The recipe that I use for icing on all my cakes is made with no butter, just shorting. I think it taste good, but I add flavoring to help it. I listed it below. Also I have heard that when making true buttercream if you add a few drops of lavender coloring it will make it white. Dont know cause I havent tried it, but I read it on this site somewhere.

1 cup Crisco White Shorting
2 lbs Sifted Power Sugar
1 tsp Clear Vanilla
1 tsp Clear Butter Flavor
1/4 tsp Clear Almond Flavor (Optional)
1/2 cup Water (If Needed)

Mix Criso, Vanilla, Butter and Almond untill Crisco is smooth. Then add Power Sugar slowly while mixing untill all is in. Then turn speed on mixer up and beat untill smooth. If the icing is dry or to thick add water by the Tablespoon untill desired thickness.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 11 Nov 2006 , 6:44am
post #20 of 21

If you do use butter in your icing you can add a touch of violet to it and it will offset the yellow tint making it turn white again.

FFC Posted 16 Nov 2006 , 7:09pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygal7782

The recipe that I use for icing on all my cakes is made with no butter, just shorting. I think it taste good, but I add flavoring to help it. I listed it below. Also I have heard that when making true buttercream if you add a few drops of lavender coloring it will make it white. Dont know cause I havent tried it, but I read it on this site somewhere.

1 cup Crisco White Shorting
2 lbs Sifted Power Sugar
1 tsp Clear Vanilla
1 tsp Clear Butter Flavor
1/4 tsp Clear Almond Flavor (Optional)
1/2 cup Water (If Needed)

Mix Criso, Vanilla, Butter and Almond untill Crisco is smooth. Then add Power Sugar slowly while mixing untill all is in. Then turn speed on mixer up and beat untill smooth. If the icing is dry or to thick add water by the Tablespoon untill desired thickness.

Yes, that's very similar to the one I use, however the one I use requires Merengue powder. Lavendar, I gotta try that icon_biggrin.gif Thanks so much for all the advice!! This place is great icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%