What Are Candy Melts?

Sugar Work By Dana0323 Updated 19 Nov 2006 , 5:18pm by nokddng

Dana0323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana0323 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:40pm
post #1 of 4

This is a crazy stupid question....but is this a brand name, or does
any chocolate for candy making work? It's for icing, not candy, but I thought this would be the board that would have all the info!


3 replies
nautkl1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nautkl1 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 4

Candy melts are those little colored discs that you melt in a double boiler or microwave. You can flavor them to whatever your heart desires.

HTH icon_biggrin.gif

jillchap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillchap Posted 12 Nov 2006 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 4

also - when you melt and mold the candy melts, once they are set, they will get back to the same texture and hardness as the original pellets. so, unless you're going to do a chocolate transfer or something, i wouldn't recommend using them to ice anything!
wilton makes them, as does merckens and another company that i can't remember right now!

nokddng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nokddng Posted 19 Nov 2006 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 4

I have a question about candy melts. If I need a particular color can I add coloring to white or do I have to get colored candy melts? I really don't want to buy a bag if I only need a small amount of a color...but I will if it's better. Also, I didn't know you could add flavoring to them..I thought they were either chocolate or vanilla. Do you use just regular flavored extract?

Quote by @%username% on %date%