Smooth Fodant Cake Dummies???

Decorating By alengirl Updated 25 Jul 2005 , 2:19am by alengirl

alengirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alengirl Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 6

Happy Sunday!

I'm working on some cake dummies to show prospective clients.
I filed off some of the rough edges on the styrofoam rounds and placed
one layer of fondant on the dummy. The thing is, it does not look as smooth as other ones I've seen. You can still see the imperfections of
the styrofoam. Kinda like my cake dummy has cellulite. LOL! Any tips on combating this issue? All I did was lightly mist the styrofoam with water and lay the fondant on it. I'm going to try laying another layer of fondant on them, but I don't want to go through my entire 15 gallon pail in one sitting. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

5 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 6

I always use a very very thin coating of either clear piping gel or clear jelly spread evenly on the cake dummies...and I roll the fondant to a thickness of about 1/3"...and most importantly, use a fondant smoothing paddle, not your hands.

I think it was the fondant's thickness that was your issue though?

alengirl Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 6

I madea cake dummy a long time ago with a private teacher & I think you just joggled my brained with the pipping gel. . . I think we used that icon_smile.gif
I'm going to try it again now. . . Thanks so much for the brain joggle! Hee-Hee! I'll let you know what happens . . .

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 7:24pm
post #4 of 6

I roll my fondant thicker for a dummy than a real cake. it usually looksa better that way.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 24 Jul 2005 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 6

I cover my dummy with saran wrap (tape the top and bottom closed if necessary), then I cover with buttercream icing .. I usually put either one really thick layer and smooth or 2 layers and smooth .. whichever it takes to get it thick enough to cover the saran.. then I roll the fondant and cover the dummy .. when it gets old or you want to play again, just pull the saran loose from the bottom, peel off the fondant and throw it all away.. you'll have a nice clean dummy to "play" with and decorate again icon_smile.gif

alengirl Posted 25 Jul 2005 , 2:19am
post #6 of 6

Great tips everybody! Thanks so much. . .

Since I already had a cellulite (hee-hee) layer on my 4 rounds, I applied a little pipping gel and added another layer of fondant. 2 looked flawless and 2 looked so-so. It had to be the thickness of the fondant.

I'll be sure to try some of the other techniques with the other dummies I'll
be working on shortly.

Thanks again for the advice icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%