Come Take A Look At My First Topsy Turvy Cake..

Decorating By FromScratch Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 10:19pm by FromScratch

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:08pm
post #1 of 34

After much sweat and MANY nearly sleepless nights.. I finished the most challenging cake I have made to date. My first venture into the land of the topsy turvy cake and my first venture into gumpast flower land as well. There are WAY too many pictures of this cake in my photos.. icon_redface.gif I got click happy.. icon_lol.gif

This cake is for my sister's baby shower that is later today.. I baked on friday and carved/filled/iced/fondant-ed all day saturday and finally finished the details at 2 am today. It was way worth it.. I hope she loves it.

Thanks for looking!
LL

33 replies
jessieb578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessieb578 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 34

absolutely gorgeous!! well done and definitely worth it! You would think you're a old pro at it!

Mickig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickig Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:18pm
post #3 of 34

That's a gorgeous cake. Congrats on your first time. And I love the way you did the base. That's so different and elegant.

Mickig icon_smile.gif

Chini3458 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chini3458 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 34

It's GORGEOUS! I love the way you covered the board. The flowers are sooo pretty!

Great job!

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 34

Beautiful!!! I want so badly to try one of these cakes.

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 34

Bravo! You did a fantastic job! I love the whole cake and the way you wrapped the cake stand, very original.

Julie icon_smile.gif

lisasweeta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisasweeta Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 34

Holy Cow!!! icon_eek.gif Really amazing! I love it! I'm off to your photos to add it to my favs.

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:26pm
post #8 of 34

Your cake is absolutely beautiful! I am jealous--I am just too sqeamish to even try a topsy cake. Your's is pretty--love all the designs and your flowers are perfect!

Your sister will LOVE it.

baergarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baergarivera Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:28pm
post #9 of 34

Jeanne,

This cake is absolutely STUNNING. Love it. You did a wonderful job the detail on it is just beautiful. this is so so pretty I KNOW I LOVE IT. Don't forget to let us know how she acted when she saw it. Can't said enoge about it is just beautiful. You are a PRO icon_lol.gif

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:28pm
post #10 of 34

icon_biggrin.gif They are definitely going to love it! I can't believe it's a first of anything icon_eek.gif Such wonderful work!

omaida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
omaida Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:30pm
post #11 of 34

WHAT A BEAUTY!!! I'm sure your siste would love it. It's beautiful.

DiannaSue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiannaSue Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:41pm
post #12 of 34

Trust me she will aodre this cake. Really pretty and you did a great job on decorating. Shw will be soooooo proud as you should be.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:42pm
post #13 of 34

It is PERFECT !! I just LOVE it ! GOOD JOB!

nicsnala99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicsnala99 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:47pm
post #14 of 34

there is no way i would ever think this is your first cake. icon_lol.gif wow, that is awesome looking!!!! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif top to bottom, great job! you've given me enough excitement to want to try one. still scared tho. what if it slides off!? icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif your sister will love it, not to mention all the kudos from everyone else.

2winboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2winboyz Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:48pm
post #15 of 34

This is absolutely stunning! I can't believe this is your first time - you are a pro to me! I hope to be as good one day.

marecip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marecip Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:53pm
post #16 of 34

Just fabulous. A fresh idea on the topsy turvy. Does each tier sit inside the other or are they stacked?
The flowers are great too. I just love working with gumpaste.

FromScratch Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:56pm
post #17 of 34

Thank you so much everyone. I couldn't have done it with out all the great advice from this place.

Mrs262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs262 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:57pm
post #18 of 34

Awesome! I love the colors and the flowers look so real!!

ihavasweet2th Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihavasweet2th Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 2:02pm
post #19 of 34

Jeanne,

What an awesom cake!!! You do beautiful work!!!!!!!! I love the way you covered your cake stand too!!! How creative. Definetly putting this one in my favorites!! I bet your sister loved it!!!!

~ihavasweet2th~

ctackett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctackett Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 2:11pm
post #20 of 34

OMG!!!! WOW!!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!!

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 2:14pm
post #21 of 34

Great job! Those cakes are just so much work aren't they? But they're worth it in the end... everyone will love it icon_smile.gif

spongemomsweatpants Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spongemomsweatpants Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 2:16pm
post #22 of 34

wowsers!!!! That is sooooo beautiful! Very very nice job! ummm wanna come work in a pastry shop? icon_biggrin.gif

rajinaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajinaren Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 2:17pm
post #23 of 34

wow...looks amazing....very beautiful! You should be really proud!

FromScratch Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 2:21pm
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongemomsweatpants

wowsers!!!! That is sooooo beautiful! Very very nice job! ummm wanna come work in a pastry shop? icon_biggrin.gif

LOL!! Well if I lived closer I'd be over to help in a heartbeat.. a 2 plus hour commute (each way) is a WEE bit of a hurdle.. icon_wink.gificon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

FromScratch Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 2:23pm
post #25 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by marecip

Just fabulous. A fresh idea on the topsy turvy. Does each tier sit inside the other or are they stacked?
The flowers are great too. I just love working with gumpaste.

They sit inside.. sort of.. the tall side of the tier above is not inside the cake at all. so you can slide it into the space rather than drop it in. there are dowels in each tier and a central dowel through the whole she-bang.

Thanks so much for the great comments everyone! I am overwhelmed.

countrykittie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrykittie Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:02pm
post #26 of 34

What a wonderful, beautiful cake! I know everyone will love it! I haven't been brave enough to try something like a topsy turvy cake...I hope when I do, it looks as wonderful as yours. icon_smile.gif

erimsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erimsy Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 9:59pm
post #27 of 34

FANTASTIC

pilates2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pilates2 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 10:05pm
post #28 of 34

Hi Jeanne... just sent you an email this evening. I too in awe of it. Beautiful job. I so much want to know how you arrived at this perfectly balance in every way piece of art! Thanks, Sandy

bake-A-cake00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bake-A-cake00 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 10:13pm
post #29 of 34

Wow I cant believe that was your first! It looks amazing. The way you made the base is very creative, the colors are nice, the flowers are great, your sister will love it!

frostedbliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frostedbliss Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 10:15pm
post #30 of 34

This cake must be a reflection of how much you love your sister! It is absolutely fantastic!!! I love all the attention to detail, your carving is so well done and the cakes and decorations are all so smooth! Just perfect!!! By the way, I love how you wrapped the cake stand. Your pic. went right into faves!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%