Any Other Typos In The Confetti Cakes Book?

Decorating By aprilcake Updated 30 Sep 2007 , 5:05pm by SMRturtle

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:45am
post #1 of 12

Many of you on here just informed me in my other post about the vanilla sugar recipe having a typo, which I found out tonight when making them....i never found a little piece of paper in my book stating the typo...so i was wondering if there were any more in that book...or if everything else turns out good? any tips for the recipes in that book would be great too...if stuff should be added or what not!

Thanks,
April :0)

11 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 6:08pm
post #2 of 12

I have that book and I didn't know there were any typos.....what's the typo that you've discovered??

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 12 Sep 2007 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 12

I have the book too and even though it's not listed on the website I think there is also a problem with the Swiss Meringue Buttercream. I can never get it to come up right and I gave the recipe to my neighbor who does cakes for a living and she tried it 3 times and couldn't get it to work. I've wasted a lot of money trying to get that recipe to work.

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 12

I tried the Swiss Merengue recipe and it's the best I've ever had. It tastes like ice cream and not like a stick of butter.

Without knowing the specifics I really can't tell you what you may be doing wrong, and I'd like to help if I can.

I have even used the carton of egg whites that states you can't make merengues with them. They work just fine.

Maybe you're just not whipping it enough or it's not cold enough? It can look very "watery" after adding the butter but if you keep mixing it, it will come together. Sometimes even a bowl of ice under themixer helps if necessary.

Ever since I started using this icing exclusively, customers are going bonkers over the icing.

terrig007 Posted 24 Sep 2007 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 12

Jessie,
I don't know why it doesn't work for me. I will try it again soon and see if maybe it was the humidity, (we live in GA) but I could never get it to work. It whips up fine and even put it in the fridge to cool it off before I put in the butter. Maybe it doesn't like me. I will let you know. icon_smile.gif
I would be thankful for the help though!
terri

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 26 Sep 2007 , 10:50pm
post #6 of 12

I'm surprised at that. I did it last week, and it was amazing. I just loved it!

jessienj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessienj Posted 27 Sep 2007 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 12

Well let me tell you how I do it and maybe that will help.

First off, I weigh all my ingredients.
I put a pot of water to boil and I add the egg whites and sugar to my kitchen aid bowl. Once the water is boiling, I set my bowl over that water and start whipping by hand the egg and sugar mixture. It has to get super hot without cooking the eggs. I whip for about 7-10 minutes. Then I set it on the mixer with the whip attachment and whip on high for about 10 more minutes - however long it takes to get the merengue to cool down.
Then I change to the paddle attachment and start adding the butter. Once its all in there, I put the mixer on medium speed and let it go. It takes a while for it to come together, but just let it run. Once it has all come together I slowly add the vanilla and let that come together some more.

Maybe you're not letting it mix for long enough???

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 3:41am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrig007

I have the book too and even though it's not listed on the website I think there is also a problem with the Swiss Meringue Buttercream. I can never get it to come up right and I gave the recipe to my neighbor who does cakes for a living and she tried it 3 times and couldn't get it to work. I've wasted a lot of money trying to get that recipe to work.

thats such a shame that you havent had success with it. i've tried many many smbc recipes and this one is my absolute FAVORITE- hands down! i agree with the other poster who said it tastes like ice cream icon_wink.gif i love how much vanilla it calls for.

on another note regarding the recipe for the cookies. i think its supposed to be 2 and something cups, not 4 cups of flour. to my knowledge, thats the only typo. i have the book and it didnt have the slip, but i saw a thread on here recently that explained what it said, and it basically stated that that was the only misprint in the book. (this is secondhand info....)

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 3:52am
post #9 of 12

I didn't know there where any typos either... where can I find this info??? TIA

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 3:55am
post #10 of 12

I'm so glad I just saw this! I just made the vanilla cookies last night and could not understand why it was so dry and the dough was so crumbly. I ended up adding some milk but it still didn't help.

Has anyone made the chocolate cake? Any chance that had a typo?

terrig007 Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 4:56pm
post #11 of 12

I've had good luck with the cake recipes (I'm hooked on the choc & rv) and the cupcake frosting but none with the SM. I do use the scale too. I will try the ice. Sometimes, I'm wondering if it's the humidity but I will try it again. I am hoping to get it to work since you all love it so much.

SMRturtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMRturtle Posted 30 Sep 2007 , 5:05pm
post #12 of 12

This is what I found on the Confetti Cakes website under their book page:

Oops! There's a mistake in The Confetti Cakes Cookbook. We
want everything you make to be delicious, so please change the amount of all-purpose flour in the Vanilla Sugar Cookies (page 53)
to 2 1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons
(11 ounces). Enjoy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%