How Do I Make Lilly Of The Valley?

Decorating By brnrlvr Updated 17 Sep 2007 , 4:31am by designsbydelights

brnrlvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brnrlvr Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 10

I would like to make this wedding cake from Martha Stewart for an up coming bridal show. Does anyone know where I can find info on how to make the lilly of the valley?
LL

9 replies
practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 8:24pm
post #2 of 10

I have instructions, but I have never been able to attach scanned pages. I will try to explain. 1 center wire bending at top, with floral tape attach attach 2 - 1 1/8" pieces in a V shape to the main stem continue to attach 5 more V shapes down the step, placing them about 1/4" below each other. Bend each wire over a stick to give a graceful curve. Using a tiny 6 petal cutter, cut 13 flowers from gum paste. Cup each of the flowers around rounded dowel to form cup/bell shape. Attach flowers to stem, by brushing wire with water, and pushing shape gently onto wire until wire is just visible on inside of flower. Stick in styrofoam to dry. When dry gently bend the spray to a natural curve. Hope this helps!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 10

Here's Wilton's instructions ... but the ones on that cake in the picture are rather free-standing. Are you certain they are made of frosting?

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/lilyvalley.cfm

DianaMarieMTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaMarieMTV Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 10

The leaves look like they are made of gumpaste, but you could probaby make the flower stems out of wire and royal icing. Bend your wire to the right curve, insert it into a round (maybe#4) tip and squeeze gently as you pull the wire out of the bag to coat the wire with icing. No suggestions on how to do the flowers, but the wire idea is something my instructor showed us for other flowers made of royal.

brnrlvr Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:25pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks for the tips! Looking in the magazine, this is a cake by "Ron Ben Israel ". This is the third time I have seen that name know in the last 2 days. Who is this guy?

practiceandpatience- do you have a book these directions are from?

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 10

Ron Ben-Israel is a famous cake designer in New York who makes the most incredible sugar flowers and cakes. Check out his website at www.weddingcakes.com and you'll see why his name keeps popping up.

Sandra

practiceandpatience Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 7:29pm
post #7 of 10

The book that I have the instructions in is the Wilton Beautiful Gum Paste flowers. This is the book you get if you buy the kit of gum paste cutters.
I have tried to attach the scanned picture here. Hope this works

practiceandpatience Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 10

Doesn't appear that worked, except if you right click and click open, but let me try again, I rescanned and saved as a jpeg. let's see if this works better????
LL

brnrlvr Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 2:02am
post #9 of 10

Thank you so much for scanning those in for me!!

designsbydelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designsbydelights Posted 17 Sep 2007 , 4:31am
post #10 of 10

If you can get your hands on the Wilton "Celebrate! Wedding Cakes" copyright 1983 on page 63 are instructions. I have made the attached wedding cake many times over the years and I love making the lily of the valley. It's my favorite. I use royal icing, make the long stems first and pipe the flowers directly on the cake using tip #80. I have never had any success using the wires, but I guess with practice.......... I think it would be a wonderful skill to posess! The cake in your picture is lovely, Good luck!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%