First Batch Of Cookies!

Baking By Mommy2KAE Updated 10 Sep 2007 , 3:44am by rbatia

Mommy2KAE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy2KAE Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 12

Yipee! I'm so excited! I just made a batch of "No Fail Sugar Cookies" following the tips provided by Antonia74. I've NEVER had such perfect looking cookies! icon_biggrin.gif I'm going to make the "Key to the City" cake for my son's birthday. His birthday is a week after Christmas. These are "practice cookies" so I can get better at decorating them. I want to make the "real" cookies before Christmas when I do all my Christmas cookies. How soon do you think I can make them? Should I freeze them undecorated? Or can I freeze them decorated? Thanks!!

11 replies
charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 12

I'm pretty sure you can freeze them undecorated but I have never tried freezing them after decorating. I would worry that the icing would bleed when defrosting. Congrats on the recipe turning out great! Isn't that a wonderful feeling??

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 12

What are the tips, I just made Toba's butter cookies and the dough is gooey. I need a good recipe, how is the taste of the No Fail?

Kat

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 12

Kat, not sure this is the one she used but this is an article that antonia74 did on cookies. It might help you out.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.html

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 6:28pm
post #5 of 12

I have made several bathes of Antonia's cookies and they are always awesome. I freeze them so I can bake ahead of time. They come out always tasting great. I love them.

Mommy2KAE Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 12

Yes! That was it! I always used to ruin the cookies when I transfered them to the pan! I also used the almond extract in the cookies. It was tasty, but I think I prefer cardamom in mine icon_biggrin.gif Maybe the almond in the icing and cardamom in the cookie might be nice! I flood filled the cookies last night. I did the "beginner method" first, and I thought that was harder! I made star shapes and there were tons of bubbles in the points that kept getting stuck. So I thinned it a bit and used a #3 tip and outlined and filled in one step. MUCH easier! I made blue and green stars and #1's for my son's 1st birthday next month. I'm when they are done drying I'm going to do some lighter dots and stripes on them. I'm also doing a cookie like this to put on top of the cake. Should I have him lie flat or stand up? I can't decide! He's coming out so cute!
LL

katwomen1up Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 12

thanks CharlieinMO, nice tutorial. Do you have any idea where to get the silpats? Those look pretty neat, have you used them? I do use the wax paper now but am always open to new tools if they are worth it. icon_smile.gif

sunflowerfreak, I couldn't find her recipe only, for the royal icing. Am I looking in the wrong place? I just made two batches of cookies and both are terrible. One was my fault I think and the other I haven't a clue. icon_sad.gif

I'm trying to make a good batch for sampling for a potential order. The one I learned in class lacks flavor so I was trying new recipes. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank you both,
Kat

katwomen1up Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks mommy2kae, I was looking for a recipe from Antonia. I did see that one, so at least I know I'm not loosing it. That cookie is adorable! Maybe you could do 2 and stand them up back to back so no matter what side you're looking at you see the cookie?

Post some pic's I'm sure it's going to be awsome!

Kat

Jesjacster2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesjacster2 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 12:47am
post #10 of 12

Mommy2KAE cute cookie..I used that theme when my 3 year old turned 1 and my 5 year old turned 1 too..can't wait to see the pics of your cake

vonnie99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vonnie99 Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 1:18am
post #11 of 12

Thanks for posting the links - I want to try my hand at cookie decorating soon.

rbatia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rbatia Posted 10 Sep 2007 , 3:44am
post #12 of 12

thanks for the links

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%