New Twist On Cake Balls

Baking By louie750 Updated 11 Sep 2010 , 3:58am by cheatize

louie750 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louie750 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 3:41am
post #1 of 10

Ok so I hesitantly tried cake balls for the first time. I was worried with all the post I've been seeing about them being difficult or not turning out right. I remember reading a lot of post saying they were too mushy or gooey. So I was making my little balls and thought, what if I baked them again? I press the balls down to form a cookie shape and baked them at 350 for about 10-15 min. I did frost them with some melted chocolate over top. Now I bring most of my food to work, but let me say when I made these and my husband tried one he forbid me to take any in so he can eat them all! I've only tried this with chocolate cake scraps but it made a brownie-like cookie that was damn good!! Just thought I would share for those who are frusterated and/or sick of cake balls icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 3:44am
post #2 of 10

Great idea! Trying tomorrow! thanks!!!!!

Galxcbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galxcbaby Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 3:46am
post #3 of 10

Great idea, who would have thought? I can't wait to try them.
This is a little silly to ask I guess, but did you ice them before or after re-baking? And how did you keep them from drying out, if you don't mind my asking?

louie750 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louie750 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 4:38am
post #4 of 10

I iced them after baking. I don't know with the drying out..they didn't last long enough to find out! but I would assume if you store them in an airtight container like you would cookies they wouldn't get too hard ( they do have a bit of a crunch on the outside.) Or you can store them with a piece of bread, I know this trick works to keep cookies soft.

TiffTurtle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiffTurtle Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 4:44am
post #5 of 10

oh..thats a good idea..i made them for the first time this weekend...everyone thought that they tasted like a fudgey brownie but my mom asked me if i forgot to cook them...lol so she would prolly like them rebaked..haha

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 8 Nov 2006 , 4:52am
post #6 of 10

I just made some from left over carrot cake, Cream Cheese icing and lemon curd!

Galxcbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Galxcbaby Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 3:52am
post #7 of 10

Wow, the carrot cake balls almost sound better than chocolate!

Thanks for answering Louie, and I've never heard of the bread trick, it'd be interesting to know the reason behind it. Maybe something about absorbing moisture? I'll have to try it though.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 12:33pm
post #8 of 10

I'm definitely going to try this!! Thanks for sharing!! icon_biggrin.gif

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 1:34pm
post #9 of 10

Ok, this might be a silly question, but I'd like to try this but I just wanted to make sure I got it right:

-you make the cake balls as usual
-then you rebake them flattened a bit at 350 for about 10-15 minutes
-do you then reshape them into balls, freeze and dip into chocolate?
-or, do you keep them flattened and dip or frost them?

Seems like they wouldn't be cake "balls" if you kept them flattened...and with the rebaking, does that stiffen them up enough to dip them into chocolate so they don't fall apart?

I've done CB the normal way and they are always huge hit (although, I'm not a big fan of them), but I thought this way was interesting so I'd like to try it.

TIA

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 3:58am
post #10 of 10

I'm so happy this thread exists! A friend gave me 3 gallong size bags of undipped carrot cake balls left from her daughter's wedding. I tried to dip them, but they're way too soft. Thus, they've been sitting in the freezer for a month as I have not been in the mood to fix them. I do believe next week's tailgate will have carrot cake cookies. Woo hoo!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%