Storing Sweetex ??

Decorating By AnythingSugar Updated 15 Sep 2007 , 2:57pm by Wendoger

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 15

I ordered some Sweetex xhortening to try. I only bake for family and friends so I was wondering how to store this if I won't use it all for a while. Will it be better to store it in the refrigerator or just leave it at room temp? Can it be refrigerated to stay fresh longer? Thanks.

14 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:09am
post #2 of 15

I have some Sweetex in the fridge and the balance in the freezer. icon_smile.gif

Bought 50# because the Sweetex at the cake decorating store wasn't fresh - it was yellowing and translucent. icon_sad.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:19am
post #3 of 15

I keep mine in the fridge. (I need to buy a small fridge though because it's taking up to much room in the other one)

AnythingSugar Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:20am
post #4 of 15

Thank you so much Jan! I only bought 10 pounds but that will take me a while to use. I am going to put some in the freezer to keep it fresh. Again, thank you!

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:38am
post #5 of 15

JanH, how did you wrap yours up in the freezer? I will be picking up about 15lbs next week.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 7:39am
post #6 of 15

I bought two sets of food service storage containers from Sam's.

Each set (of three 6 qt. capacity) clear food grade plastic rectangular cubes with stackable plastic lids, ran about $21.00.

I liked them so much I bought more to store my bulk coconut oil purchase.

Consider them an investment, as each time I buy Sweetex, the cost (for storage container usage) goes down.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 15

How about a basement? Would that work as well? I also bought 50 pounds and have it sitting in my basement. I don't have the room in the fridge or freezer. icon_cry.gif

Kat

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 15

I just ordered a 50lb box of Sweetex from Cash'n'Carry for 56 dollars...thats 1.12 a lb....just curious as to how much the rest of ya paid/are paying?
I am thinking I will keep mine in the basement as well.

Jan....so thats how ya tell if its going bad? Yellow-ish and translucent? Is there usually a date on the box?
This is my first time buying such a large box.

christeena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christeena Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 3:34pm
post #9 of 15

I bought a 50# box of Sweetex from GFS and it states on the box to store at room temperature between 70-75 degrees f. That being said, I only do about 2-3 cakes a month but I'm paranoid that the government will step in and force the transfat out of the hi-ratio shortening, too!
I have put some of it in the freezer and the rest into
1 1/2 pound food saver pkgs. in my pantry in a box that I keep closed up. That is the amount I use to make a single batch of icing.

katwomen1up Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 4:22pm
post #10 of 15

Wendoger, I paid 50 dollars. You didn't do bad, I know someone that works at Sysco so I got their price I guess. Not that much of a discount ompaired to what you paid, but I won't complain. If I would have had to pay shipping who knows what it would cost.

Kat

AnythingSugar Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 3:02am
post #11 of 15

I bought 10 pounds from the baker's kitchen and I paid $1.89 a pound for it. I bake a lot of cakes for my DH to take to work but most of them aren't covered in BC frosting. I do a lot of coconut cakes, 16 layer chocolate cakes, carrot cakes and stuff like that. It would take me a while to use 50 pounds of shortening.

Kat that sure is cutie in your avatar!!!

katwomen1up Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 3:22am
post #12 of 15

Anythingsugar, If I wasn't still taking classes It would take me a long time to use it too. I would find a way to find room in my freezer though for sure,

16 layer cake?? How impressive, they all sound good.

My Avitar is my Grandson, thank you. He is very cute, but then again I'm very partial!! icon_smile.gif

Kat

katwomen1up Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 3:22am
post #13 of 15

Anythingsugar, If I wasn't still taking classes It would take me a long time to use it too. I would find a way to find room in my freezer though for sure,

16 layer cake?? How impressive, they all sound good.

My Avitar is my Grandson, thank you. He is very cute, but then again I'm very partial!! icon_smile.gif

Kat

AnythingSugar Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 4:17am
post #14 of 15

Yes, a 16 layer cake LOL. The layers are very thin and I only use 1/2 cup of batter per pan. Then I make a cooked chocolate to go between the layers. My aunt taught me to make it a lonnnnnnnnnnnng time ago and around here, they are very popular. It is so yummy!

I would be proud of that grandson too! He is precious!

Sorry for briefly hijacking the thread.

Edited to correct my typing lol

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 15 Sep 2007 , 2:57pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeena

I bought a 50# box of Sweetex from GFS and it states on the box to store at room temperature between 70-75 degrees f. That being said, I only do about 2-3 cakes a month but I'm paranoid that the government will step in and force the transfat out of the hi-ratio shortening, too!
I have put some of it in the freezer and the rest into
1 1/2 pound food saver pkgs. in my pantry in a box that I keep closed up. That is the amount I use to make a single batch of icing.

Just got my 50lb box and I think I will do the same thing....freeze one and half lb paks.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%