Turntable Recommendations

Decorating By vdrsolo Updated 27 Jun 2011 , 8:15am by Coral3

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 26

I am going to purchase a new turntable and would like to have some feedback on what others have.

It's between these:

Reversible Turntable-14" Round, 14 x 20"
http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=1725

PME Turntable
http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=614842

Ateco Professional Revolving Round Cake Decorating Stand
http://www.intotheoven.com/p814/Professional-Revolving-Round-Cake-Decorating-Stand/product_info.html

I currently have a Wilton one I've used for the past 10 years but it isn't very smooth turning and is more jerky.

Thanks!

25 replies
sgilmer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgilmer Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 26

I have never seen the reversible one before, but if you do square and round cakes, that would come in handy. If you only/mostly do round I would probably go with the last one because it looks nicer.

vdrsolo Posted 8 Sep 2007 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 26

I'm looking at it from more of a round cake stand point. I don't need the turntable for sheet/square cakes, but need them for the round.

MandyBs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandyBs Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:30am
post #4 of 26

I noticed Fat Daddios has one that looks nice and turns on ball bearings - not the pin type. I think I saw it on the Global Sugar Art site. Yep, just checked, and it's on sale for $55.99. I think I need one too!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 12:06pm
post #5 of 26

I have the Ateco and its a workhorse.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 1:45pm
post #6 of 26

I have the Ateco and guard it with my life. It's as valuable to me as my Agbay.

BTW, Frosted Art, the cake studio Bronwen Weber works out of, has about 20 of those Ateco turntables stacked and ready to use. It looked like a little turntable garden. icon_smile.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 26

The only one that I have tried that you have listed is the Ateco one and I would be one to gaurd it with my life (once I get to buy it)

I have tried about 3-4 other brands and styles also and Ateco is still my favorite. As for the reversible one... I have done full sheet cakes on an ateco turntable before with no problem, it can handle it.

vdrsolo Posted 9 Sep 2007 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeLM

I have the Ateco and guard it with my life. It's as valuable to me as my Agbay.

If that's the case...that will be the one I get, my Agbay can have a new friend!!

SimpleAffair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimpleAffair Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:50am
post #9 of 26

I recently purchased the "Cake Wheel"...it's wonderful but quite expensive. It was a major purchase for me but works for sheet cakes and rounds...even has small wheel which works very well when working with fondant.

vdrsolo Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:09am
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleAffair

I recently purchased the "Cake Wheel"...it's wonderful but quite expensive. It was a major purchase for me but works for sheet cakes and rounds...even has small wheel which works very well when working with fondant.

Oh my goodness, expensive!

So I told hubby I wanted a new turntable, and of course didn't cross my mind about him making me one, he is a mechanical engineer! He took apart my cheap Wilton one and laughed, all the bearings were rusted out!

He's going to design one for me with a 15" square on one end and a 15" circle on the other, so it's reversible, like the one on CK. Normally the largest cake I will not have on a large base board would be a 14". (I don't use turntables for sheet cakes). I'll be able to ice it that way and let my scraper rest against the cake stand. Then, If I need to put fondant on it, I'll just put a smaller pan on top of the cake stand with some nonslip pad. I also told him I wanted to decorate the cake a little higher so he'll make it as high as I want, maybe about 4" higher than the standard.

He's already designed me some flat cake carriers with cut outs for me to get my fingers under the cake, I just put nonskid on it and transport them that way!

SimpleAffair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimpleAffair Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:43pm
post #11 of 26

The expense is something to consider...I actually purchased it at a DOS event. The inventor demonstrated it and, since I am an "impulse" buyer, I had written the check before I thought about it!

I do believe her husband followed thru on her idea to create the Cake Wheel. It is a really valuable tool and would definitely be of great help to the professional cake decorator...makes life so much easier. However, that's not me!

At any rate...go for your idea...if it works, why not patent it and sell it as she does the Cake Wheel. She even sold one to Collette Peters. Something to think about!

tkdnvymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tkdnvymom Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 12:58pm
post #12 of 26

I actually bought mine from Ikea, it's wood, it's very smooth and it's approx. 15 inches round. I think I paid about $6.00. I just love it. I use it for cakes and cookies. So, if you have an Ikea, I would check it out.

vdrsolo Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 1:15pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleAffair

The expense is something to consider...I actually purchased it at a DOS event. The inventor demonstrated it and, since I am an "impulse" buyer, I had written the check before I thought about it!

I do believe her husband followed thru on her idea to create the Cake Wheel. It is a really valuable tool and would definitely be of great help to the professional cake decorator...makes life so much easier. However, that's not me!

At any rate...go for your idea...if it works, why not patent it and sell it as she does the Cake Wheel. She even sold one to Collette Peters. Something to think about!

I actually do have a lot of ideas floating in my mind of ways to make transporting & assembly easier. I prefer not to stack any of my cakes until at the reception hall, that's just me. We have alot of curvy roads and hills around here and wrecks are constantly happening. Yes, my cake would probably be safe with an expensive SFS system, but I have no control over other drivers, that is my hugest concern (plus, I can't lift a heavy cake by myself!). And one of my venues is up a sharp incline!

bambuf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bambuf Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 1:16pm
post #14 of 26

Being the Alton Brown fanatic that I am...I just use my wooden turntable on top of a 3" deep cake pan. It is very sturdy and I have even used it to hold and ice full sheet cakes. When I need to do sheet cakes, I just put my wooden cutting board on top of the turntable and it holds beautifully. Of course, I don't do a high volume of cakes, so perhaps my needs are not the same... You will have to post a picture of your hubby's creation when it is finished!

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 1:17pm
post #15 of 26

I have the reversible one and it works great! I rarely use the side for sheet cakes since I hardly make them but it's definitely a keeper thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 2:46pm
post #16 of 26

vdrsolo

You should read some of the threads about the SPS system I'm always talking about. Very sturdy and so cheap its disposable. I think the SFS, while a very good product, is ridiculously expensive and a hassle since you have to get it returned.

vdrsolo Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 4:17pm
post #17 of 26

Leah,

I do use the SPS system. (You recommended it to me from the Sugarcraft board). Unfortunately, with my roads around here, it didn't pass the test for me for transport. It's just way too hilly and curvy around here and even though I travel slow, I am always having to look out for people pulling out in front of me when popping over a hill. I absolutely love the support sytem itself, no dowels! Very strong, sturdy, and level!

FrostinGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostinGal Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:28pm
post #18 of 26

Vdrsolo, you sure are lucky to get a custom turntable!
I currently have the reversible turntable which I really like. It makes sheet cakes a breeze. The Ateco turntable is on my wish list, though. We had several of them at the bakery where I used to work. They took a lickin' and kept on tickin'! Solid equipment, and very easy to keep clean!

2winboyz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2winboyz Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 5:51pm
post #19 of 26

I just received my Ateco turntable in the mail today that I ordered from Into the Oven. I was like a kid receiving candy. Love it. So glad I took the $$ plunge. I was having difficulty with my small Wilton one and I have a big bday cake to make this weekend.

vdrsolo Posted 11 Sep 2007 , 7:53pm
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by VQ

I just received my Ateco turntable in the mail today that I ordered from Into the Oven. I was like a kid receiving candy. Love it. So glad I took the $$ plunge. I was having difficulty with my small Wilton one and I have a big bday cake to make this weekend.

sounds like me when I used my Agbay straight off the UPS truck for a wedding cake I was doing...he probably thought I was nuts because I was so excited to see him!!

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 21 May 2008 , 9:36pm
post #21 of 26

Reviving this thread to see if there are new/more recomendations for cake decorating turntables.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 21 May 2008 , 10:25pm
post #22 of 26

I got the Ateco after hearing Leahs rave about it. I got it from Oasis Cake Supply. I priced them everywhere, but Oasis had them for $44.99 plus they gave me free shipping because I ordered so much. I LOVE IT! I wouldnt ever use anything else.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 22 May 2008 , 3:58am
post #23 of 26

Ateco all the way.

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 22 May 2008 , 7:00am
post #24 of 26

i love my wilton one.

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 22 May 2008 , 7:01am
post #25 of 26

Ha Ha Just joking!

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 27 Jun 2011 , 8:15am
post #26 of 26

I can't tolerate my Wilton turntable a day longer!! I've found a PME turntable (standard, not the tilting one) for a reasonable price. Are they any good? I really don't want another dud turntable!

TIA!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%